Random freezes and black screen on WIndows 11

Anonymous
2021-07-22T17:38:09+00:00

Hi,

I recently downloaded Windows 11 on my laptop and for the first 3 days, everything went smoothly with no issues. After that, everything went down hill. I'm starting to experience random freezes as well as black screen. I have no choice but to do a hard reboot to get my laptop up and running again. The freezes and sometimes black screen happens randomly. Sometimes, it only occur once a day, other days 3 times and today, it happened about 6 times. I have no idea what might caused this issue because on the Event Viewer, it didn't tell me much. And on the Reliability Report, it just says that the device was turned off unexpectedly. I can confirm that the temperature is not the issue. And there's nothing wrong with the hardware as well because this issue I encountered with Windows 10 as well. I've sent my laptop to the store 3 times to see if there's anything wrong with the hardware but the store couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Here's what I did to try to fix this issue:

  1. I ran sfc / scannow to see if there's any corrupted files. Found nothing.
  2. I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Didn't fix it.
  3. Uninstalled the updates and then reinstalled the updates. Didn't fix it.
  4. I've updated every drivers that I have.
  5. I tried to reset the PC but for some reason, the reset button doesn't work.
  6. Tried it on safe mode. Laptop froze on safe mode as well.
  7. Deleted Logitech Hub, thinking it could be the issue. But, didn't fix it either.
  8. Disabled fast start-up in BIOS.

I could be gaming, or browsing the internet or even left the laptop on idle, it would either freeze or the screen would go black, or both.

Here's my device:

MSI GS63 8RE STEALTH, NVIDIA GTX 1060, INTEL 8TH GEN CORE i7-8750H

6GB of GDDR5

16GB DDR4

Here's the Reliability Report screenshot that I took.

*Moved from Windows 11

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Install, activate, and Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:46:41+00:00

    Try resetting from the advanced menu itself.

    Click on Start>Power menu

    Hold Shift and restart

    Click on Troubleshoot>Reset this PC

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:32:44+00:00

    Ok. Got it. But now the issue is it says that the feature is not available with Windows 11. The reset button is there but won't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:18:52+00:00

    Try Safe mode with networking.

    In the option page (where you get a list of startup settings), press the key to enter Safe mode with networking

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:12:16+00:00

    I tried to reset my laptop on safe mode but I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the internet. When I click on the Settings, the wifi option is not there. I couldn't run the troubleshooter because it says that I try to run it on safe mode. When I open Windows Update in Settings, it was blank. Nothing showed up. No option to check for updates. No option for recovery or reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T06:27:28+00:00

    That is a good suggestion. I appreciate that. But I already started the reset process. Now I'm just waiting. If it's freezes again, I will definitely try on safe mode.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments