Random freezes and black screen on WIndows 11

Anonymous
2021-07-22T17:38:09+00:00

Hi,

I recently downloaded Windows 11 on my laptop and for the first 3 days, everything went smoothly with no issues. After that, everything went down hill. I'm starting to experience random freezes as well as black screen. I have no choice but to do a hard reboot to get my laptop up and running again. The freezes and sometimes black screen happens randomly. Sometimes, it only occur once a day, other days 3 times and today, it happened about 6 times. I have no idea what might caused this issue because on the Event Viewer, it didn't tell me much. And on the Reliability Report, it just says that the device was turned off unexpectedly. I can confirm that the temperature is not the issue. And there's nothing wrong with the hardware as well because this issue I encountered with Windows 10 as well. I've sent my laptop to the store 3 times to see if there's anything wrong with the hardware but the store couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Here's what I did to try to fix this issue:

  1. I ran sfc / scannow to see if there's any corrupted files. Found nothing.
  2. I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Didn't fix it.
  3. Uninstalled the updates and then reinstalled the updates. Didn't fix it.
  4. I've updated every drivers that I have.
  5. I tried to reset the PC but for some reason, the reset button doesn't work.
  6. Tried it on safe mode. Laptop froze on safe mode as well.
  7. Deleted Logitech Hub, thinking it could be the issue. But, didn't fix it either.
  8. Disabled fast start-up in BIOS.

I could be gaming, or browsing the internet or even left the laptop on idle, it would either freeze or the screen would go black, or both.

Here's my device:

MSI GS63 8RE STEALTH, NVIDIA GTX 1060, INTEL 8TH GEN CORE i7-8750H

6GB of GDDR5

16GB DDR4

Here's the Reliability Report screenshot that I took.

*Moved from Windows 11

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Install, activate, and Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-03T11:34:26+00:00

    I still have the same problem.

    First I thought it is solved after a driver update. But I still have this freezing problem. It happens randomly, sometimes after 2 day's

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-12-03T10:21:00+00:00

    Hi,

    I recently downloaded Windows 11 on my laptop and for the first 3 days, everything went smoothly with no issues. After that, everything went down hill. I'm starting to experience random freezes as well as black screen. I have no choice but to do a hard reboot to get my laptop up and running again. The freezes and sometimes black screen happens randomly. Sometimes, it only occur once a day, other days 3 times and today, it happened about 6 times. I have no idea what might caused this .....

    Hi, I have your problem too

    I have returned to Windows 10 three times so far and updated to Windows 11 again, but I still have a problem with freezing :(

    I do not know what to do. I'm really nervous. Were you able to solve the problem?!?!?!

    If rolling back and upgrading doesn't work, it might be the hardware problem.

    Try resetting your BIOS.

    1. Start your computer.
    2. Then, click on the start menu
    3. Then click on the power menu
    4. Hold down Shift key on your keyboard and click on Restart.
    5. Wait for some time until you see a blue screen with some options.
    6. Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI firmware settings > Restart.
    7. Wait for some time. This will enter the computer's BIOS/UEFI settings.
    8. Some BIOS do not have cursor support, so you need to use the Left, Right, Up, Down, Space, etc. keys.
    9. Go to the Boot tab and select Reset BIOS to defaults.
    10. Press enter and say Yes for anything it asks.
    11. When done, select Exit saving changes and press enter.
    12. Again say yes or OK for anything is asks.

    Note: This is the method for most of the devices. But, BIOS varies from device to device. Hence, this method may be different for some computers.

    ________________-

    If resetting the BIOS doesn't work, probably you need to consult with a PC repairer, or best way, contact your PC manufacturer support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-02T19:02:59+00:00

    Hi,

    I recently downloaded Windows 11 on my laptop and for the first 3 days, everything went smoothly with no issues. After that, everything went down hill. I'm starting to experience random freezes as well as black screen. I have no choice but to do a hard reboot to get my laptop up and running again. The freezes and sometimes black screen happens randomly. Sometimes, it only occur once a day, other days 3 times and today, it happened about 6 times. I have no idea what might caused this issue because on the Event Viewer, it didn't tell me much. And on the Reliability Report, it just says that the device was turned off unexpectedly. I can confirm that the temperature is not the issue. And there's nothing wrong with the hardware as well because this issue I encountered with Windows 10 as well. I've sent my laptop to the store 3 times to see if there's anything wrong with the hardware but the store couldn't find anything wrong with it.

    Here's what I did to try to fix this issue:

    1. I ran sfc / scannow to see if there's any corrupted files. Found nothing.
    2. I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Didn't fix it.
    3. Uninstalled the updates and then reinstalled the updates. Didn't fix it.
    4. I've updated every drivers that I have.
    5. I tried to reset the PC but for some reason, the reset button doesn't work.
    6. Tried it on safe mode. Laptop froze on safe mode as well.
    7. Deleted Logitech Hub, thinking it could be the issue. But, didn't fix it either.
    8. Disabled fast start-up in BIOS.

    Hi, I have your problem too

    I have returned to Windows 10 three times so far and updated to Windows 11 again, but I still have a problem with freezing :(

    I do not know what to do. I'm really nervous. Were you able to solve the problem?!?!?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-11-28T12:22:35+00:00

    I got a "Intel system 2131.1.4.0" driver update as optional update, since then no freeze

    Edit

    No problem isn't solved

    I still have freezing problems

    Every 2 days

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-11-24T11:48:01+00:00

    I have the same problem on my LG gram 17z90n Laptop,

    Windows 11 freezes randomly.

    Only a cold boot helps, total freez no task manager can be used etc

    I'm on version 21H2 22000.348

    All drivers are up-to-date

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments