Random freezes and black screen on WIndows 11

Anonymous
2021-07-22T17:38:09+00:00

Hi,

I recently downloaded Windows 11 on my laptop and for the first 3 days, everything went smoothly with no issues. After that, everything went down hill. I'm starting to experience random freezes as well as black screen. I have no choice but to do a hard reboot to get my laptop up and running again. The freezes and sometimes black screen happens randomly. Sometimes, it only occur once a day, other days 3 times and today, it happened about 6 times. I have no idea what might caused this issue because on the Event Viewer, it didn't tell me much. And on the Reliability Report, it just says that the device was turned off unexpectedly. I can confirm that the temperature is not the issue. And there's nothing wrong with the hardware as well because this issue I encountered with Windows 10 as well. I've sent my laptop to the store 3 times to see if there's anything wrong with the hardware but the store couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Here's what I did to try to fix this issue:

  1. I ran sfc / scannow to see if there's any corrupted files. Found nothing.
  2. I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth. Didn't fix it.
  3. Uninstalled the updates and then reinstalled the updates. Didn't fix it.
  4. I've updated every drivers that I have.
  5. I tried to reset the PC but for some reason, the reset button doesn't work.
  6. Tried it on safe mode. Laptop froze on safe mode as well.
  7. Deleted Logitech Hub, thinking it could be the issue. But, didn't fix it either.
  8. Disabled fast start-up in BIOS.

I could be gaming, or browsing the internet or even left the laptop on idle, it would either freeze or the screen would go black, or both.

Here's my device:

MSI GS63 8RE STEALTH, NVIDIA GTX 1060, INTEL 8TH GEN CORE i7-8750H

6GB of GDDR5

16GB DDR4

Here's the Reliability Report screenshot that I took.

*Moved from Windows 11

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Install, activate, and Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-04T20:40:53+00:00

    I've been having issues with Windows 11 freezing as well. Sometimes Outlook freezes but not the whole OS. Other times the entire OS freezes and I must do a forced power off to recover it. This problem has been getting worse since Windows 11 was released and can happen several times per hour. I had no issues like this during the beta period. I have a Lenovo Carbon X1 with 16GB of RAM and a very large SSD with ample free space. I'm ready to go back to Windows 10 and tell everyone to steer clear of Windows 11. Very frustrating since I keep losing my work. All I'm running is Outlook, Teams and Edge when it happens. Occasionally I'm also running Excel and File Explorer when it happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T07:12:16+00:00

    I tried to reset my laptop on safe mode but I couldn't get my laptop to connect to the internet. When I click on the Settings, the wifi option is not there. I couldn't run the troubleshooter because it says that I try to run it on safe mode. When I open Windows Update in Settings, it was blank. Nothing showed up. No option to check for updates. No option for recovery or reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T06:27:28+00:00

    That is a good suggestion. I appreciate that. But I already started the reset process. Now I'm just waiting. If it's freezes again, I will definitely try on safe mode.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T06:09:31+00:00

    I'm trying to reset it but the laptop froze on me twice already. Now, I'm trying again for the 3rd time. And I'll update once I am able to reset it successfully.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-24T05:56:21+00:00

    Hi

    Thanks for getting back to the thread.

    You should try a reset of Windows 11. You have an option to keep your data there.

    Even though, keep a backup ready.

    Open Settings and go to Windows update>Recovery. Click on Reset this PC.

    Choose Keep files and apps

    Let the reset complete. It might take a long time.

    Note: After the reset, you may need to join the Windows Insider Program again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments