Unable to use Rufus with Windows 11 GPT/UEFI

Anonymous
2021-08-19T23:36:06+00:00

With Windows 11, we were instructed to use GPT/UEFI when using Rufus to create a Windows 11 Insider ISO. Rufus has changed their policy and in order to use the newly created ISO states that Secure Boot must be disabled. Can Microsoft offer any help here?

FAQ · pbatard/rufus Wiki · GitHub

Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/AAdjkc0

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-08-20T00:33:50+00:00

Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

Ahhh that makes sense.

So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T00:40:01+00:00

    Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

    Ahhh that makes sense.

    So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

    Yes, no big deal.

    Windows will install properly, you can enable back Secure Boot afterwards.

    edit: I used an ISO from UUPdump with only Pro inside, that's why Rufus stays FAT32 in my case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T00:53:16+00:00

    @Hawkeys46, how old is your system? Newer systems have other capabilities..

    This is my install USB drive on Z490 (10th Gen) and Z590 (11th Gen) systems. It may be this will work all the way back to the 8th Gen processors since Microsoft chose to only allow those and later with Win 11. It ia not hard to set this up..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T01:06:48+00:00

    It defaulted to NTFS I did not change the section below.

    You're right, it does.

    I downloaded the official ISO and Rufus switches to NTFS automatically, the ISO is too big for FAT32

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T01:14:25+00:00

    It defaulted to NTFS I did not change the section below.

    You're right, it does.

    I downloaded the official ISO and Rufus switches to NTFS automatically, the ISO is too big for FAT32

    Image

    Thanks, will experiment on Dell #2 Insider laptop & reply when complete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments