Unable to use Rufus with Windows 11 GPT/UEFI

Anonymous
2021-08-19T23:36:06+00:00

With Windows 11, we were instructed to use GPT/UEFI when using Rufus to create a Windows 11 Insider ISO. Rufus has changed their policy and in order to use the newly created ISO states that Secure Boot must be disabled. Can Microsoft offer any help here?

FAQ · pbatard/rufus Wiki · GitHub

Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/AAdjkc0

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-08-20T00:33:50+00:00

Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

Ahhh that makes sense.

So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T16:35:06+00:00

    There are 11 editions of Windows in the ISO not just Home and Pro, but even with only Pro the size of the install.wim exceeds the 4GiB limit for creating the normal FAT32 USB Media.

    Hi fg2001,

    In my download of Windows 11, there are only six editions.

    I extracted only Pro edition and the size of install.wim diminished to 3.88 GB. This can be copied to FAT32 formatted USB drive.

    Downloaded size of install.wim with all 6 editions was 4.12 GB, too large to copy on to FAT32 formatted drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T17:19:04+00:00

    Hi suat.cini,

    You can see here I got 11, you don't have the N edition.

    Regardless we still need to extract manually or split the .wim into .svm and then we can put it on the FAT32.

    MS should distribute the ISO already compressed with install.esd so we could avoid all the manual manipulations.

    They just don't get it !😒

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T17:33:07+00:00

    Hi fg2001,

    I forgot to write I downloaded Beta ISO file if that matters.

    I don't have the N editions in my ISO. I don't know why.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T17:43:19+00:00

    Hi fg2001,

    I forgot to write I downloaded Beta ISO file if that matters.

    I don't have the N editions in my ISO. I don't know why.

    Regards

    Hi suat,

    This is my Beta ISO too. And here is the extracted install.wim just for Windows 11 PRO edition, 22000.132

    I don't know why yours is different ?

    This could actually fit in the limit of 4294967296, but is pretty close to the limit.

    Any added update will get it over the limit next time.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments