Unable to use Rufus with Windows 11 GPT/UEFI

Anonymous
2021-08-19T23:36:06+00:00

With Windows 11, we were instructed to use GPT/UEFI when using Rufus to create a Windows 11 Insider ISO. Rufus has changed their policy and in order to use the newly created ISO states that Secure Boot must be disabled. Can Microsoft offer any help here?

FAQ · pbatard/rufus Wiki · GitHub

Feedback Hub: https://aka.ms/AAdjkc0

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2021-08-20T00:33:50+00:00

Oh! I could be wrong but I think I know what's going on. If you download/use the official ISO, it contains both Home & Pro and it's too big for FAT32, therefore Rufus changes to NTFS automatically.

Ahhh that makes sense.

So that means we would have to turn off Secure Boot.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T05:32:59+00:00

    You have proven nothing.

    Unless you show the configuration of your machine and the display with "diskpart" of you bootable installation media device.

    I have 2 machines that are fully compliant with windows 11 and do not boot from an NTFS USB device, they only boot from FAT32.

    Anyway, I said earlier that this is a completely useless conversation unless you get some new specs of UEFI stating that they can boot from NTFS.

    If you are creating the media with Rufus it formats a FAT12 partition at the end right after the NTFS, that is the partition it uses for Booting and then it gives control to the NTFS partition where the windows installer is saved.

    Good night..

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T00:23:49+00:00

    Nothing to be concern about.

    That installation media will boot just fine even if Secure Boot is enable and Windows will install properly.

    edit:

    Wait, did you select NTFS? if so, then I'm not sure about my comment.

    I always let Rufus decide, the default is FAT32.

    It defaulted to NTFS I did not change the section below.

    Edit: I have made at lots of ISO's using Rufus and have never used FAT32. Never had any issues with Clean Installs. Rufus has changed!

    I just made 2 ISOs, one with default FAT32 that boots just fine with Secure Boot enable, and one with non-default NTFS which does not boot with Secure Boot enable (your case). You should use default.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-20T00:12:22+00:00

    Nothing to be concern about.

    That installation media will boot just fine even if Secure Boot is enable and Windows will install properly.

    edit:

    Wait, did you select NTFS? if so, then I'm not sure about my comment.

    I always let Rufus decide, the default is FAT32.

    It defaulted to NTFS I did not change the section below.

    Edit: I have made at lots of ISO's using Rufus and have never used FAT32. Never had any issues with Clean Installs. Rufus has changed!

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-19T23:53:26+00:00

    Nothing to be concern about.

    That installation media will boot just fine even if Secure Boot is enable and Windows will install properly.

    edit:

    Wait, did you select NTFS? if so, then I'm not sure about my comment.

    I always let Rufus decide, the default is FAT32.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments