Stop code: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG

Anonymous
2022-07-17T07:57:13+00:00

I have an Asus Zenbook. After/during the latest Windows 11 update, I am no longer able to boot into windows. I get Stop code: DRIVER PNP WATCHDOG BSOD, and sometimes INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. I can't get to the recovery environment, although BIOS is still working.

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Repair and recovery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. BryceSor 5,510 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-23T20:57:37+00:00

    He had problem, see first post, I am not sure what he sees at that screen where you load the driver and he also told us what drivers he tried to install which were the wrong ones.

    The error he posted is to do with Windows so the driver are not loading with the one he tried to install

    We need to know what happens at that screen and in what time scale as loading drivers only takes a few seconds and the SSD drive should show, if it doesn't show there is a problem either with the driver or bios setting or both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-23T19:23:24+00:00

    W11 might have the drivers within it but does warn you if you remove or damage the VMD drivers you will end up with a blue or green screen depending on Insider or public release.

    That doesn't make sense.

    How do you remove or damage drivers before a clean installation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. BryceSor 5,510 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-23T19:13:40+00:00

    The VMD is like an extra system or separate chip and at the moment you have to load the drivers manually when at this screen, W11 might have the drivers within it but does warn you if you remove or damage the VMD drivers you will end up with a blue or green screen depending on Insider or public release.

    I don't know the mechanics behind the screen below so I can only go on what I have read at Intel and Asus web sites.

    Not only do the drivers have to be right but the bios settings for VMD must be set correctly. The original installation might be damaged beyond repair

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-23T16:21:58+00:00

    Insider Dev does have some Intel drivers already, but I am unsure if they are for Intel's VMD, you can install the drivers into the ISO. / winre image using DISM.

    I might download a copy of W11 public to see.

    W11 Public Release does not have drivers for this Intel drive released in 2019, otherwise it would have been recognized during installation without the need to load drivers.

    The point is that W11 and even more so the Dev channel being way ahead in developement, should have built-in drivers for devices that are older than W11 itself.

    Maybe there's a licensing dispute between Intel and MS, otherwise I can't think of a valid excuse to have to load drivers in this day and age.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. BryceSor 5,510 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-23T08:28:34+00:00

    Insider Dev does have some Intel drivers already, but I am unsure if they are for Intel's VMD, you can install the drivers into the ISO. / winre image using DISM.

    I might download a copy of W11 public to see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments