Edge Side Bar

Anonymous
2022-08-12T12:54:19+00:00

Split from this thread.

Interesting observation: In Dev IB, the Edge Bar has an Auto Hide (collapse). In Win11, the Edge Bar does not have said feature. Big (1st) snip is Dev IB; small (2nd) one is Win11. Same versions of Edge, btw.

Image

Image

Cheers,
Drew![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/5346b8d6-7b56-407f-aef9-7638accb4716?platform=QnA

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Personalization and accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-12T06:56:30+00:00

    Interesting observation: In Dev IB, the Edge Bar has an Auto Hide (collapse). In Win11, the Edge Bar does not have said feature. Big (1st) snip is Dev IB; small (2nd) one is Win11. Same versions of Edge, btw.

    Weird, now that you mentioned it, I have the MS Edge sidebar on one machine, but missing in several other ones and cannot turn it on.

    The button to "Show sidebar" is completely missing is the Appearence settings even if MS Edge is exactly the same version on all machines. 🤷‍♂️

    I filed an FBH report the MS Edge.

    Image

    Image

    Missing on this one. Why?

    Image

    Present on Edge Canary on every machine. 🤣🤣

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-12T07:19:18+00:00

    I don't know quite what to say about that, BUT the Sidebar and the Edge Bar are 2 (very) different things.

    Rt Clicking on text or an image offers Search in Side Bar. That is not the same, at all, as Launching the Edge Bar. For one thing, Side Bar is within the browser window and Edge Bar shows outside the browser window. The Edge Bar Auto Hide or Collapse feature only shows in Dev IB, not regular Win11.

    Myself, I have Side Bar anytime, everywhere in both Dev IB & Win11 (public).

    Admittedly, there was a time when Search in Side Bar, especially images, wasn't consistent or fully 'in place', but that was quite long ago.

    Cheers,
    Drew![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/e427233a-c825-4e86-b371-3456bbbf29cd?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-12T07:31:17+00:00

    Drew,

    I don't have Edge Bar.

    I just showed that the option to turn on the sidebar is missing on more than one machine, regardless of being an insider build or not.

    There is clearly something screwed up and missing in the settings.

    Why the inconsistency with the exact same version?

    Yet it is always there on Edge Canary.

    More stupid A/B testing?

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-12T08:45:08+00:00

    Again, I not quite sure what to say... Neither in Dev or Win11 do I find nor recall, a Setting to turn on side bar... it is accessed, by default, via Rt Clk menu; has been that for a very long time, now.

    Cheers,
    Drew![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/31018398-8539-4ad8-b2d2-40acf3eafb5a?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-12T09:02:02+00:00

    Again, I not quite sure what to say... Neither in Dev or Win11 do I find nor recall, a Setting to turn on side bar... it is accessed, by default, via Rt Clk menu; has been that for a very long time, now.

    Cheers,
    Drew![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/31018398-8539-4ad8-b2d2-40acf3eafb5a?platform=QnA

    No default on that Side Bar.

    Also, I found one machine with the Edge Bar that you mentioned, but weird way to get to it.

    B.T.W. This one is on Windows 11 GA and has the collapse button. 😎

    Image

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments