Edge Side Bar

Anonymous
2022-08-12T12:54:19+00:00

Split from this thread.

Interesting observation: In Dev IB, the Edge Bar has an Auto Hide (collapse). In Win11, the Edge Bar does not have said feature. Big (1st) snip is Dev IB; small (2nd) one is Win11. Same versions of Edge, btw.

Image

Image

Cheers,
Drew![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/5346b8d6-7b56-407f-aef9-7638accb4716?platform=QnA

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Personalization and accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-08-20T03:14:26+00:00

    That IS the same as what I have with Edge GA that I thought you were calling "old".

    Dev & Canary have the Sidebar, instead, it seems, as they don't have the (Launch) Edge Bar, anywhere.

    Good joke, also. As was stated, everything I have is the latest, Edge & Builds.

    Thought I had made this all quite clear. I trust it is, now.

    Cheers,
    Drew

    ![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/fe7f290e-9158-4ef4-8f50-c763adedb246?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-08-19T16:13:27+00:00

    Well, I have Dev 182 and I have the latest versions of Edge GA, Dev & Canary. GA, does not have the Edge Sidebar in the browser window nor its toggle in Settings/ Appearance. This is in Dev & Canary.

    As for the Edge Bar & 182, interestingly enough, it DOES, still, work from GA, but not from Dev nor Canary and the toggle is gone from them.

    The same scenario exists in Win11.

    Logic suggests when I have Edge Sidebar in GA, the Edge Bar will be gone from it, also. To have both must be viewed as redundant by Edge designers & engineers. I expect this change will be seen when GA goes to Series 105 (soon).

    Looks like you are still behind on both .182 and Win11. 🀣

    This one looks like another experiment replacing the old Edge bar with this one. 😎

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-08-19T08:02:23+00:00

    Well, I have Dev 182 and I have the latest versions of Edge GA, Dev & Canary. GA, does not have the Edge Sidebar in the browser window nor its toggle in Settings/ Appearance. This is in Dev & Canary.

    As for the Edge Bar & 182, interestingly enough, it DOES, still, work from GA, but not from Dev nor Canary and the toggle is gone from them.

    The same scenario exists in Win11.

    Logic suggests when I have Edge Sidebar in GA, the Edge Bar will be gone from it, also. To have both must be viewed as redundant by Edge designers & engineers. I expect this change will be seen when GA goes to Series 105 (soon).

    Cheers,
    Drew

    ![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/06062d5c-0ccf-4c40-9550-9a0d36a9768a?platform=QnA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-08-18T20:07:17+00:00

    Drew,

    With Dev Build 25182 the old Edge bar on the right side of the desktop is gone completely on every version of MS Edge.

    The new Edge sidebar on the right side of the browser window showed up on all versions of MS Edge including the GA version.

    Still missing on several machines with Build 22000.856 and 22000.917 with the same Edge GA version 104.0.1293.54.

    Unclear why the different behavior with the same GA version on MS Edge. 😎😎

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-08-14T03:54:57+00:00

    Understood. How bizarre❗

    You'll like this πŸ˜‰ I, also, put Edge Dev & Canary in my Dev IB. Canary is fine with the Sidebar, BUT Dev has it, but it is blank, no icons & Customise has nothing to select, either, except a πŸ‘ & aπŸ‘Ž for "How do you like it?" 🀣 Both Dev & Canary in Win11 have it all. Sound familiar to you? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‚

    BTW, I do like the Tools Image feature in it πŸ‘πŸ‘

    Cheers,
    Drew![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/6f27236e-15dc-483b-b193-fb8257505976?platform=QnA

    ![Image](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/f7c77644-ba68-4b68-a9dc-284452641c62?platform=QnA

    Yes, it sounds a familiar inconsistent mess. 🀐🀐

    When they first added this feature on Canary it required a flag called Web App Sidebar.

    I checked the flag on all machines, and it is set to default on all of them, but they still behave different even if I enable the flag.

    On one of my Dev Build 25179, the GA version of MS Edge does not have this new sidebar feature regardless of what I try.

    But the other 3 versions of MS Edge, Beta, Canary and Development have the feature available, and it looks exactly the same on all 3.

    While the old Edge bar has been removed on all 4 versions of Edge (GA and Insider).

    This one below is gone with Build 25179 in all versions of MS Edge.

    Image

    The flag below is set as default on all machines and all versions of MS Edge.

    Image

    Here is another new one that showed up on the desktop, with Build 22000.856 and MS Edge Dev. 🀣🀣

    I will shut it off and uncheck Auto-launch Edge bar. Looks like another nuisance replacing the old Edge bar.

    Image

    Also, it added this icon in the Taskbar corner overflow menu. 🀣🀣🀣

    Image

    Same version of MS Edge Dev, but it behaves differently on Build 22000.856 versus Build 25179.1000.

    This new Edge bar only comes up on 22000.856.

    Image

    Even more strange, in case of Windows 10, both Canary and Dev Edge open the new Edge bar. 🀣🀣

    I'll have to disable Auto launch for both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments