Build 26020 is out to Canary Channel

CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-01-03T18:00:30+00:00

Live in W.U.

Windows Insider program | Program announcements and registration | Communications and announcements

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-21T00:12:49+00:00

    Hi FG,

    For the fun of it, I installed 26020 on my old desktop Z68. This was a bit different, as it installed with the normal fixes and was up and running, even after several reboots.

    This is where it gets interesting. Once I connect the internet cable, the system crashes. If I disconnect the internet cable, it boots up as normal. I simply cannot go online. 😒

    Enough for one day, have a great weekend.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T00:29:07+00:00

    Hi FG,

    For the fun of it, I installed 26020 on my old desktop Z68. This was a bit different, as it installed with the normal fixes and was up and running, even after several reboots.

    This is where it gets interesting. Once I connect the internet cable, the system crashes. If I disconnect the internet cable, it boots up as normal. I simply cannot go online. 😒

    Enough for one day, have a great weekend.

    Regards,

    Is that a Legacy Bios machine or a UEFI?

    I only had problems with the Legacy Bios booting on the MSI laptop caused by the bootmgr file, but no problems at all with internet once I got around installing 26020.

    I also installed 26020 on an old unsupported UEFI XPS 8700 and did not have any issues. Connected fine to the internet.

    I don't have that XPS 8700 machine anymore, I gave it to Goodwill a few days ago with Windows 10 Installed. 😉🤷‍♂️

    Have a nice weekend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-21T01:36:44+00:00

    That was on a Legacy Bios machine about 12yrs old. This old desktop works perfectly until I connect the internet. That results in a blue screen Kmode Exception.

    Strange that it is a BSOD rather than a GSOD. Happens every time I connect the Internet, instant crash. Disconnecting internet, this build boots up normally.

    Time to look for a used mb and cpu for this old unit. I'm sure 8th Gen should be cheap.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-21T02:36:39+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Weird, I cannot even boot the installation media on my Legacy BIOS MSI laptop, it gives a disk error unless I change the bootmgr file with the one from Dev 23619 or any other older Canary builds before 25967.

    The same problem with previous Canary builds starting with 25967 and on all the way to 26020.

    I isolated the 1st one with this issue was 25967.

    At this point I don't know what is different from your legacy Bios machine.

    It fails just booting from the USB flash installation media from 25967 and up.

    Image

    Looks to me that bootmgr in these last several Canary builds is pointing to the wrong disk and gets disk error on this MSI GT70-0NC laptop, but I'm afraid I will never figure out what exactly they changed to cause this problem. All older insider builds and Canary 25951 and below still work just fine. 😂😂😵‍💫🤐🤬🤷‍♂️

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more