Build 26020 is out to Canary Channel

CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-01-03T18:00:30+00:00

Live in W.U.

Windows Insider program | Program announcements and registration | Communications and announcements

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T04:48:48+00:00

    Hi Pauli,

    Until the more recent builds I could even run Canary on my legacy BIOS MSI machine, but not anymore. 😂🤷‍♂️

    They changed bootmgr file and no longer works with this Legacy BIOS laptop.

    Gets this error on first reboot.

    Image

    Yet, I managed to do a clean install on the same machine by replacing the failing bootmgr file with one that works when I first get the error. 😉

    Image

    I could also do an upgrade from Windows 10 19045.3992 to Canary 26020.1000 using an ISO on the same Legacy Bios machine.

    When it gets the error on first reboot. I replace the failing file bootmgr in the system partition with a file that is still good for legacy Bios. (I used the file from Dev Build 23615 which still works fine for legacy BIOS)

    After the upgrade done offline, I went online to check for updates and W.U. downloaded these:

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-19T22:22:58+00:00

    Hi FG,

    Surprisingly enough, clean install in VMware works fine with legacy bios.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-20T00:44:05+00:00

    Hi FG,

    Surprisingly enough, clean install in VMware works fine with legacy bios.

    Regards,

    Hi Johnny,

    Always a different game with VM. 😂🤷‍♂️

    They really screwed up the bootmgr file in the last 4 builds, (not sure if they did it on purpose or by mistake, it fails with disk error on Legacy Bios PC). 🤣

    The USB installation media for 26020 cannot even boot on Legacy Bios unless I change the bootmgr file with one that works, (I used the one from Dev 23615 or 23619).

    After that I can install with the usual known hacks, but it will fail again on first reboot. At that point I have to replace the bootmgr file in the system partition. After that I can boot and complete the installation.

    Same trick for a system upgrade using the ISO 26020.

    I upgraded a Windows 10 R.P., 19045.3992 to Canary 26020.1000 on the same Legacy Bios laptop I showed above.

    I used "setup.exe /product server" to bypass the requirements and did the upgrade offline.

    Got the disk error on first reboot.

    At that point I powered off, booted from an installation media and from command prompt I replaced the bootmgr file on the system partition after unhiding it, powered off again.

    On next power up it booted correctly and went on working on updates to complete the upgrade.

    Went online and got updates with W.U. and from the MS Store after switching it from ReleasePreview to CanaryChannel.

    Everything worked out.

    The usual Xbox Identity Provider issue solved with a known workaround. 👍

    There are other locations where bootmgr file is stored and they would need to be corrected too to have the same version.

    Maybe several places, could be changed in boot.wim and install.wim to get a working installation. 😉

    IE: C:\Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootmgr 😎

    Perhaps they should be changed in the install.wim and the boot.wim before trying to install. 😉

    This may be the last time I play this silly game, that laptop is way too slow for the inefficient Windows 11.

    Got a fully compliant mini-PC for a bargain price and preinstalled Windows 11 Pro, no need for any of these tricks anymore. 😉

    GMKtec M2 Mini PC Windows 11 Pro Intel Core i7-11390H (Turbo 5.0 GHz) 1TB SSD 16GB DDR4, Desktop Mini Computers WiFi 6, USB3.2, BT 5.2, DP, HDMI, RJ45 2.5G

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments