Build 26020 is out to Canary Channel

CrazyKats 19,760 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-01-03T18:00:30+00:00

Live in W.U.

Windows Insider program | Program announcements and registration | Communications and announcements

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-19T22:22:58+00:00

    Hi FG,

    Surprisingly enough, clean install in VMware works fine with legacy bios.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-18T04:48:48+00:00

    Hi Pauli,

    Until the more recent builds I could even run Canary on my legacy BIOS MSI machine, but not anymore. 😂🤷‍♂️

    They changed bootmgr file and no longer works with this Legacy BIOS laptop.

    Gets this error on first reboot.

    Image

    Yet, I managed to do a clean install on the same machine by replacing the failing bootmgr file with one that works when I first get the error. 😉

    Image

    I could also do an upgrade from Windows 10 19045.3992 to Canary 26020.1000 using an ISO on the same Legacy Bios machine.

    When it gets the error on first reboot. I replace the failing file bootmgr in the system partition with a file that is still good for legacy Bios. (I used the file from Dev Build 23615 which still works fine for legacy BIOS)

    After the upgrade done offline, I went online to check for updates and W.U. downloaded these:

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  5. Pauli O 16,380 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-01-18T03:44:47+00:00

    >Your CPU is old, does not work with Windows 11.

    Since release of Windows 11 I have run it and Previews on two device with unsupported CPU.

    • Dell Precision 3510, i7-6820HQ (UEFI, GPT, TPM2.0, Secure Boot)
    • Dell Precision T5810, Xeon E5-1620 (UEFI, GPT, TPM2.0, Secure Boot)

    Both of those devices meet all other requirements except CPU and those run Windows 11 23H2, Dev and Canary previews without any issues.

    Released Windows 11 has get all released updates. Only version updates (21H2 -> 22H2 ->23H2) must install manually.

    As MS support told you can install Windows 11 to devices with unsupported CPU if it meet all other requirements and it has at least TPM1.2.

    Ways to install Windows 11 - Microsoft Support

    Registry key mentioned in this support site is done automatic when this kind of device is linked to Insider Program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments