Switching from Dev to Beta w/o a clean install

Anonymous
2024-02-28T07:19:39+00:00

Hi All

I'm running insider previews from the Dev channel, but would now like to switch to the Beta channel. I'm running the previews on a buisness computer, and it would be a rather big issue if I need to make a clean installation. I have been pausing the updates for a while, expecting the Beta channel to release an update that allows me to switch without doing a clean installation. My current build is 23612. What are my options, and how would you advise me to proceed?

Best regards

Windows Insider program | Windows Insider preview | Install, activate, and Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Johnny55 5,155 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2024-05-29T17:00:30+00:00

Hello Gustav,

Since your build is 23612, suggest you first reset the Insider settings by deleting the Self Host Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost

Image

Download the ISO for Release Preview 26100.560 and do a Repair Install.

Download Windows Insider Preview ISO (microsoft.com)

Mount the ISO and run setup.exe within Windows. This will put you on the RP build. You can join RP if you want, and WU will take you to 26100.712 which will be this fall Release of 24H2. I have not tried running WU without joining RP channel, you might want to try that first to see if the update comes down while in Release.

Regards,

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-31T07:13:11+00:00

Hi Gustav,

Deleting that key WindowsSelfHost and rebooting should have taken you out of insider.

If it is still in Dev channel, something did not work as expected.

When you deleted the key and rebooted the first time, did you check the insider page to make sure it was no longer in any insider channel?

It will not work if it stays in Dev channel, it needs to get out of insider.

Good that you paused the updates.

Try deleting that key again and reboot and check to make sure it is no longer on any insider channel.

The "Winver" command should show 26100.560 not just 26100.

Resume updates only when it is non-insider.

Le us know what happens.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-30T06:42:20+00:00

    Hi Johnny and fg

    Thank you very much for your feedback. I'll try to:

    • Delete the RegKey
    • Download ISO 26100.560
    • Mount the Iso
    • Run setup exe within windows
    • select (I guess) Repair install
    • after installation run WU, and see if 26100.712 is available.

    with regards to fg's comment, I'm currently enrolled in the DEV channel. Is it your understanding that I, after resetting settings, and installing 26100.560, will be able to make the switch in WU, in other words: Will the selectionbutton for Release Preview channel be active?

    The rest of my day is full of meeting, så I'l not be able to do the above mentioned befor tomorrow at the earliest.

    BR

    Gustav

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-29T10:24:33+00:00

    Hi BryceSor

    Thank you very much for your answer, even though I was hoping for it to be with a different conclusion. In my infinite wisdom, I was hoping for the build numbers for 24H2 to be larger in the Beta- and /or Release Preview than 23000 series.

    I was trying to find the build number in the flight hub, but can't seem to find it... Do you know what build number the Beta and RP channels have?

    UPDATE: I can see that the Release Preview Channel version is build no. 26100.712... So I should be able to make the switch... or what?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-28T07:23:50+00:00

    Hi All

    I'm running insider previews from the Dev channel, but would now like to switch to the Beta channel. I'm running the previews on a buisness computer, and it would be a rather big issue if I need to make a clean installation. I have been pausing the updates for a while, expecting the Beta channel to release an update that allows me to switch without doing a clean installation. My current build is 23612. What are my options, and how would you advise me to proceed?

    Best regards

    Unless you have a system image backup of the 2263x.xxxx public Build, the only way left to exit Dev insider is by doing a clean install.

    I know you don't like to hear this, but I'm not making the rules. 😂🤐

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments