How to do I connect 3 external monitors to my surface pro 7?

Anonymous
2020-05-12T02:02:56+00:00

I have connected 2 monitors to my microsoft surface dock and my 3rd monitor using usb-c to hdmi, but i cant run 3 at the same time. why is this so? How to fix this? 

As soon as I unplug one of the monitors the other 2 work, in any combination.

Help!

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-25T15:30:23+00:00

    I havent tried that connecting it via a 3rd HDMI but will test it out and post the outcome here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-25T15:34:45+00:00

    Hi all of my 3 displays are showing independent content, I am extending not duplicating. 

    My Surface Docking Station (dock) has ports to connect displays, in addition to the dock I have a port on the Surface device itself (located on the top right hand side above the USB port), known as the mini-displayport connector - I have a number of adaptor, which extend this port to HDMI or VGA.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-25T15:39:37+00:00

    As you can see in the image below - 2 of my displays are connected to the Surface Dock and a further display is connected via the VGA display port adapter directly from my surface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-25T21:41:08+00:00

    Hi Bobby,

    That makes sense... I think we have the same ports on the Surface... one USB A and one USB C...    I bought a simple splitter to take the feed from the USB C and split it into an RGB and a HDMI feed, but its the same duplicated image.

    I can see what you have done. It seems I need the Surface Dock to get the extra two screens out. Can you tell me what Dock it is? is there a model number? 

    Also, do you use the Surface screen at the same time as well? Or three completely separate external monitors? Which would make 4 screens if you counted the Surface as well?

    Thanks very much. You have been very helpful.

    Regards

    Willem 

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-08T10:38:09+00:00

    Hi Bobbi

    Please clarify that your Surface Pro is a 6 not a 7 right?

    The Surface Pro 7 replaces the 6 Mini Display Port with a USB-C port.

    Currently I am using a Surface Pro 7 with 2 monitors connected to the Microsoft Dock using HDMI to Mini DP cables.

    Today i have tried connecting a 3rd Monitor using USB-C to HDMI and i am unable to get it working.

    Does anyone know how to get a 3rd monitor to the Surface Pro 7.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments