How to do I connect 3 external monitors to my surface pro 7?

Anonymous
2020-05-12T02:02:56+00:00

I have connected 2 monitors to my microsoft surface dock and my 3rd monitor using usb-c to hdmi, but i cant run 3 at the same time. why is this so? How to fix this? 

As soon as I unplug one of the monitors the other 2 work, in any combination.

Help!

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-07-23T14:50:00+00:00

    Question. I've a Surface Laptop 3 Model VAC-00022. I've a Surface Dock 2 that displays 2 external monitors correctly. I'm hoping to use the USB-C from the laptop itself to display a 3rd monitor. I tried buying a USB-C to HDMI cable but that doesn't work. That probably doesn't work because the other 2 monitors are USB-C to HDMI from the Surface Dock 2 itself.

    Does anyone know how to get a 3rd external monitor, so a total of 4 screens (with the laptop screen working as well)?

    I think it may have to do with the dock itself. I have the newer surface dock with 4 USB C ports (2 in the front 2 in the back) and cannot get a 3rd monitor to work with my surface pro 7 (3 monitors + the surface itself). I work in an office and 3 of my co-workers have surface pro 7 set ups with 3 or 4 external monitors. They all have the older dock that has 2 mini display ports in the back and 2 USB 3.0 ports in the front. This is the only thing I can think of that may be causing the issue because otherwise our set ups are the same but I cannot get the 3rd monitor to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-01-21T17:00:18+00:00

    Did you plug the usb mouse directly into suface?

    yes I am using the USB 3.0 interface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-11T03:34:43+00:00

    Hey WendyMiller23!  I connect 3 external monitors and continue to use the Surface Pro display almost every day!

    I have a plug type dock that supports all 3 external monitors + the Surface display.

    How I accomplish this is through 2 mini display to HDMI cords from my plug type dock and a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.  All connect and work as extended desktops, no duplicates. 

    It's worked for my Surface Pro 4 i5 & my current model, Pro 5 i5, so I can't see why it wouldn't work for the Pro 7!

    (Pictured below:  All 4 screens working as extend.  The other monitors only looks unnaturally large because of the high res of the Surface, with lower res monitors while showing the same window in ALL at the same time.  This does not have this effect when a window is only displaying on one monitor at a time.)

    I hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-25T01:24:10+00:00

    Just re-read your post... do you mean "docking station" when you say "dock"? 

    I thought you mean port (as in the two ports directly on the surface pro). Please correct me if I am wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T15:16:17+00:00

    B.Trehan-Young I was wondering that you were able to do that with 2 HDMI and 1 VGA but not 3 HDMI correct??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments