Phantom Touch on the Surface 3

Anonymous
2015-11-10T17:32:13+00:00

I haven't seen much about this issue occurring on the Surface 3 on the Microsoft Forums. I wanted to post to give a full documentation of what has happened to me, so others can be aware and contribute if they have learned something I haven't. The issue is phantom (aka ghost) touch on the Surface 3. The middle school I work at has purchased 66 Surface 3 Tablets with 128 GB of storage, 4 GB of RAM, and we deploy a Windows 8.1 Enterprise image on them. After they finish deployment, I run all Windows updates, including the most recent System Firmware Update. We received these tablets at the end of August, and they started being used nearly every day by students on October 12. October 14 was the first time I saw this issue. The issue, which is only issue I have seen on these tablets, has been identical every time. So far, I have had at least 23 tablets with this issue. One of those was one of two we ordered after the first batch before we saw this issue reach epidemic levels. It was less than a week old when it exhibited this issue.

The issue is constant, brief, and rapid phantom touches on the left edge of the tablet. It makes the tablet nearly unusable. I can log in, but as soon as I do, the constant phantom touches makes the Start screen zoom in and out, scroll down to the Apps view, scroll either view left or right, and sometimes that causes an app to launch. When I switch to the desktop, it moves around shortcuts and launches them. I can't bring up the charms, as they are immediately dismissed. The best analogy for this is someone will not stop repeatedly and quickly touching or clicking on the left side of the screen, and you have no way to stop them. I've noticed some posts regarding other Surface models with a phantom touch issue is a little different; it is as if someone is resting their hand on the screen all the time. That isn't what is happening in my case. The phantom touches are always brief.

The first time I saw this issue, on October 14, I did a lot of troubleshooting. I cleaned the screen thoroughly, and removed the type cover. I re-deployed it from our deployment server, meaning I erased and re-installed Windows, and the problem persisted. I then used remote desktop to try running Windows Update, installed the System Firmware Update. When that didn't resolve the issue, I tried installing the drivers and firmware manually by downloading the package from Microsoft. After all that, I went into the UEFI settings to see if there were any options in there I could change, and I noticed the problem occurred there, too, ruling this out as a Windows problem. Microsoft has said this issue can be related to electromagnetic interference. Two things about that: we use these tablets in many areas of the building, and I have seen the issue start in many different classrooms. Also, we have 100+ Dell Venue 5130 tablets that have never exhibited this kind of issue, not to mention all the touch devices staff and students bring from home. The only temporary solution I have found for this issue is to clamp on the left edge near the bottom left corner. There is a "sweet spot" there, and it can vary among tablets, and when that sweet spot is found, the phantom touch will stop until I move my fingers or release them. Sometimes, I have had the issue stop when the sweet spot is released, but the issue always comes back later. I have also seen the issue stop after the tablet is turned off, not plugged in, and left alone for several hours, but once again, the issue always comes back. Some tablets have this issue every time they are turned on, regardless of how long I leave them alone.

I talked with an Answer Tech after troubleshooting the first system, and he had the system replaced. Since that point, because I knew this issue couldn't be solved with troubleshooting I am able to do, I have used the Send in my Surface self-service tool.  At first, I was using standard exchange, as the problem wasn't happening very often. Now, the problem has become epidemic. I had ten start having this issue last Thursday, six yesterday, and six more so far today. Because it has become such a problem, I have started using advance exchange to minimize downtime. The self-service tool has allowed me the advance option on two tablets only. So, I have had to contact support. The only way I have had success is with the chat support. Whenever I have called support, I have waited on hold for 15-30 minutes to talk to an agent both times. Today, I have waited 40 minutes on the phone, and I haven't talked with anyone yet. When I finally get an agent, they need to transfer me, and I either get disconnected while on hold, or I have had to wait over an hour, and I just gave up, as I had other things to do and couldn't continue to sit by my phone. Even when I use chat support, though, I face long wait times, and I often get an agent who wants to troubleshoot, even though I tell them this issue exists in the UEFI settings as well, and due to the constant phantom touch, I can't troubleshoot in Windows. I have also got agents that tell me I have to talk on the phone with a business support agent, and others who tell me they will process the system exchange themselves. The inconsistency is absolutely maddening.

The reason for my posting is I have not found good documentation of this issue, so I wanted to provide that. I also wanted to express my frustration with Microsoft. I am very irritated that a product was released to market with this big of an issue, and that getting the faulty systems replaced has been this much of a hassle. Please, if you have also had this problem, click "Me Too," and please reply with your experience with this problem if it is different from mine. If any of you find an easier way to get help from Microsoft, please share. I will do the same.

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-11-17T20:54:14+00:00

I've had a similar issue with phantom touches, but mine all happened near the camera at the top (which would make full screen programs , windowed) but it wasn't happening constantly.

I think I have eventually fixed it , after doing quite a large amount of research, unable to find much on the actual surface 3, mostly all on the surface pro 3.

I ran what I think fixed it around 6 weeks ago now, and only had one time when it may have happened but it was slightly different to what would previously happen that I cant say for definite if its back or not.

What I think it has turned out to be, is that the touch screen is super sensitive, to the point where it will register a touch when you don't even touch the screen.

I would suggest trying to run the inbuilt calibration first (its in control panel, tablet pc settings, calibrate). I think when you run this you are meant to have the tablet lay flat.

I didnt run the above or know about it until recently, but what I did do was, find a N-trig calibration tool ( I found it in a link on a surface pro 3 forum) which took me to Sony's website, not sure if there's a general N-trig calibration tool or if they are specific to whatever manufacturers touch panel you have.

But I believe its fixed my issue as I haven't seen the issue in around 6 weeks, even though it may have happened once, its workable for me as before it would be daily/hourly it would happen.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-11T02:35:19+00:00

    My advice to anyone buying a Microsoft Surface Tablet, is to purchase it directly from a Microsoft store or order it from Microsoft online.

    Pay the extended 2 year warranty and express support option, for a couple of Hundred bucks its well worth it.

    In purchasing directly from Microsoft, you do not have the issue of dealing with a third part vendor should something go wrong.

    Buy Microsoft products from Microsoft, these are my lessons learned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T21:41:27+00:00

    How do you do this without a keyboard? There's no "alt" on the screen keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T21:36:05+00:00

    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had this issue 2 weeks into purchasing my surface. Microsoft told me to return it to where it was purchased to have it replaced. I did this and less than a week into using the replacement I had the same issue. For it to be useable I tap the left side against my foot, which I'm sure isn't good for it, but until I have an opportunity to have the issue looked at its the only way I am able to use my computer. Super frustrated as these are by no means cheap.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-02-01T18:04:38+00:00

    I HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!!

    I discovered it accidentally (long story) and it is really easy. You just need to enable Ctrl+Alt+Del unlock (works without keyboard too). They call it "Secure Logon." This should help you: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/secure-logon-ctrl-alt-del-windows. After I enabled this feature phantom touch appeared never again (10 days).

    I hope this will help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments