Surface Laptop 3 Keeps Dropping Wi-Fi signal

Anonymous
2020-03-25T00:35:42+00:00

I preordered my surface laptop 3 and ever since I've had it, I noticed that the wifi would stop working at least once an hour for 1-2 minutes. Is anyone else having the same problems?? All of the other devices I use in my house don't have this problem.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-11T16:40:51+00:00

    Give this a try.  It seems to have fixed my problem.  On Intel's website, there is a driver download tool that does a scan of your system and automatically does driver updates.  One of those updates was to update the firmware and card that I believe is the culprit.  I did this about a week ago and the updates seem to have corrected any issues.  ie, I don't open my surface from sleep and then have to manually reconnect and no signal drops since either.

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

    I had a number of updates that Microsoft has yet to push out.

    This is it!

    This worked!!!

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-25T04:09:00+00:00

    Hi datboiKevvv,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community.

    Have you tried connecting the Surface laptop 3 to another wi-fi network aside from your home network? Does the issue occurs on the other network also?

    Please try these steps to troubleshoot the issue:

    1: Run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit and check Windows Update

    2: Update drivers and firmware

                                   Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version by going to Settings > System > About.

                                   Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Laptop 3 then click Download on the next page.

                                   Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next.

                                   After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart.

    If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-21T19:01:20+00:00

    I feel you, I am in Bermuda so I have spent a lot of money in shipping and 25% duty on the purchase price , shipping it back from here is not even an option, I am pretty much stuck with it. And its way too light to be a good boat anchor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T16:01:00+00:00

    I have unfortunately purchased this new, expensive SB 3 and am now wasting all of my time with this poor-performing WIFI connection. I have already tried everything that has been suggested and have also done a factory reset. The WIFI does not disconnect completely, but it oscillates from good to very poor, to the point that I get disconnected or can't see or hear anything in a zoom call, for example.

    If there isn't a solution for this, then what would forum members suggest that I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-12T10:38:45+00:00

    Thought it seemed better but, no, it is still doing it, remains connected to the access points but no local or internet connectivity. Very random, once a day at least, force disconnect and re connect to the access point and it gets valid ip info from dhcp server and it is good again for approx 6 hours then drops again

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments