Surface Book 3 Wifi Disconnecting Randomly

Anonymous
2020-06-02T16:18:40+00:00

I've had my SB3 since the day after they became available.  I have had random wifi disconnects throughout the day, usually only 1 or 2 but they are happening daily.

I immediately check my iPad or phone that is nearby and connected to the same wifi network and have no issues accessing the internet from those devices during that time.  The only way for me to re-establish my wifi connection on my SB3 is to turn off the wifi and turn it back on.  Everything reconnects fine each time.

Yesterday, it did this as I was preparing to give a presentation to over 1,000 people -- virtually!  Are others experiencing this? Is this is a known issue already?  I just swapped over from a MacBook Pro after 10+ years in that environment and didn't have issues like this so I hope this is something easily rectified and soon or I'll be swapping back.

Thank you!

Surface | Surface Book | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-10T09:56:34+00:00

    It's a Virgin Media (an ISP here in the UK) Home Hub 3.0; that's my home setup. No Windows doesn't report that I'm still connected. It has also happens at my office as well where we use a managed Ubiquiti UniFi network. I have since upgraded my WiFi driver using Intel's driver update utility and have updated to WiFi driver 21.90.3.2 and have not had the problem since; I did this 5 days ago

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-09T02:53:45+00:00

    Even when i'm sitting next to the wifi router i wont be able to get full network in my surface book 3 and frequent disconnection. my 5 year old laptop and all other devices connected without any issues. Done with all the trouble shoot. reinstalled windows from recovery. But no luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-08T09:40:50+00:00

    SBG6700

    out of the box, I think this uses the same SSID name for both 2.4 and 5GHz
    networks. you need to go deep into advanced settings and specify a separate name
    for the 5GHz network and connect to that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-07T20:00:26+00:00

    What Wi-Fi router brand and model are you connected to on a 5Ghz channel when this occurs?  Do you always get disconnected from Wi-Fi, or does Windows still report you are Connected to Wi-Fi but you can't communicate with anything (webpage, ping, etc)?

    Aerris Surfboard SBG6700

    Windows still reports I'm connected in terms of the wifi signal indicator.  I know I'm offline because Teams & Discord immediately show me disconnected and the OneDrive icon starts showing the 'sync icon' in the bottom right toolbar area.  As soon as I toggle Wifi off and back on, I reconnect with no issues...until the next time it occurs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments