Surface Book 3 Wifi Disconnecting Randomly

Anonymous
2020-06-02T16:18:40+00:00

I've had my SB3 since the day after they became available.  I have had random wifi disconnects throughout the day, usually only 1 or 2 but they are happening daily.

I immediately check my iPad or phone that is nearby and connected to the same wifi network and have no issues accessing the internet from those devices during that time.  The only way for me to re-establish my wifi connection on my SB3 is to turn off the wifi and turn it back on.  Everything reconnects fine each time.

Yesterday, it did this as I was preparing to give a presentation to over 1,000 people -- virtually!  Are others experiencing this? Is this is a known issue already?  I just swapped over from a MacBook Pro after 10+ years in that environment and didn't have issues like this so I hope this is something easily rectified and soon or I'll be swapping back.

Thank you!

Surface | Surface Book | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-13T23:38:01+00:00

    Curious if you ended up returning or if there was a fix. I'm having exact same issue. It seems to be an unaddressed common issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-13T17:39:06+00:00

    I am having the same issue with my book 3. Might have to send it back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-14T20:55:24+00:00

    There was a known issue with the Surface Book 2 WiFi. Did Microsoft fix or just carry over the same design/hardware into the Surface Book 3? Part of it was a hardware interference issue. There is a whitepaper on Intel's website IIRC.

    I had plenty of WiFi and networking issues on my SB2 dating back to when the device was released in 2017. Microsoft did try to fix the WiFi issues with updates but I dont think its really fixed to this day. Could really be a hardware defect that will never be fixed.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-13T14:11:00+00:00

    I was hopeful updating my Intel wifi driver would solve the problem and I thought for a day or two it did but yesterday, and already this morning, my wifi has disconnected for no reason.  :(

    And now the same login I've used for the last month here all the sudden doesn't recognize me and I've had to create a new username under the exact same email address I was using to login with previously...the amount of issues continuing to pile up here are pretty ridiculous.  Glad I'm being allowed to swap back to my Macbook Pro.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-10T10:06:07+00:00

    Update in case everyone is still having problems with this.

    I gave up waiting for Microsoft updated via Windows Update and new firmware didn't help either. In the end I updated the WiFi driver to the latest version (21.90.3.2 as of time of post) using Intel's driver update: 

    https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/products/130293/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/intel-wireless-products/intel-wi-fi-6-series/intel-wi-fi-6-ax201-gig.html

    That was just over 5 days ago and I haven't had a disconnect since. Hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments