How do I get my music (like Pandora) to keep playing after the Surface shuts the screen off while on battery?

Anonymous
2012-11-08T21:12:00+00:00

I want to listen to music on my Surface but not have to have the screen on (to save battery life).  Is the only way to keep the music app running to keep the Surface awake?  Or if I have Pandora going in the background and I flip to another app it stops the sound.  How do I keep it going?

Thanks

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-25T23:41:18+00:00

Greetings all,

Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-18T14:57:00+00:00

    Desktop IE definitely runs in the background when using the device unlike the metro IE.  Not sure if it runs after power off.  Likely you'll have to wait for a Pandora app, similar to all other tablets

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-28T22:50:55+00:00

    slyej,

    I was having the same issue, and my son (who works at Microsoft) made a suggestion that works for me. Now, to listen to Pandora while surfing the web, I open Pandora through the Desktop tile. That allows me to listen to my favorite music while I do my surfing on IE. I placed a shortcut too Pandora on the Quicklaunch taskbar which makes launching Pandora even easier.  Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-23T03:08:07+00:00

    Concerning the problem of turning off the display and not the tablet. I found the place where one should be able to set this but it didn't work.

    If you search the settings for "display" you will see an option for when to turn off the display. in that dialog you can set the surface to never go to sleep, and there is an advanced settings link.   go in there and there is a display option that lets you set when to turn off the display.    I set this, however, as soon as the display when off my Pandora streaming also stopped. 

    Dear Microsoft, can someone take a look at this? it appears that the settings are not being honored correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-23T05:03:13+00:00

    Try creating a power plan instead of editing an existing one.

    Also, make sure you're using the desktop version of Internet Explorer when streaming music from Pandora (tap Desktop from the Start screen, then tap the IE icon on the taskbar).

    Hope this helps,

    Kate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments