Greetings all,
Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I want to listen to music on my Surface but not have to have the screen on (to save battery life). Is the only way to keep the music app running to keep the Surface awake? Or if I have Pandora going in the background and I flip to another app it stops the sound. How do I keep it going?
Thanks
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings all,
Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).
Basically, Windows 8 goes into a state called connected standby. The only way to disable this, is to edit the registry and change this value. The issue that this now produces is the inability to put the computer into "Sleep" state and the loss of the instant on.
If you turn off the Conected standby, then you can set the sleep to never and use a third party app (I use screen off) to turn off the computer, but leave it running, so you can listen to music.
I agree that this seems complicated and definitely a trade off, in that I want to have my cake and eat it too.
This is a problem and should be fixed. At least a way to allow the screen to go off while keeping the surface on would save the battery... at the moment in the power settings screen off and sleep are linked. Change one and the other changes too.
My workaround is to set the time for sleep and screen off to never when plugged in. I then manually dim the screen if I'm just wanting to use the surface to listen to music. If you're wanting to use it on battery you could do the same thing, but it would become more of a pain.
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
Unless XBox Music plays Pandora, that was not a meaningful reply. We want Pandora to keep playing.