How do I get my music (like Pandora) to keep playing after the Surface shuts the screen off while on battery?

Anonymous
2012-11-08T21:12:00+00:00

I want to listen to music on my Surface but not have to have the screen on (to save battery life).  Is the only way to keep the music app running to keep the Surface awake?  Or if I have Pandora going in the background and I flip to another app it stops the sound.  How do I keep it going?

Thanks

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-25T23:41:18+00:00

Greetings all,

Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T20:50:14+00:00

    Hi Everyone,

    So, I just got my surface a few days ago and am experiencing this issue, where streaming Pandora via IE doesn't work when the tablet goes into sleep mode.  I am a novice, so please bear with me, but what does it mean to launch Pandora on the Desktop IE?  I'd like to try this as a possible solution if I can.  In the meantime, it is ridiculous to me that Microsoft doesn't offer a Pandora app and seems to be forcing XBox Music.  I may have re-thought this purchase had I known that beforehand.

    There are 2 versions of IE in Windows 8.x/RT the Full Screen IE you launch from the Start Screen, often referred to the Modern UI or Metro version of IE and the desktop version of IE that is launched from the desktop (there is a desktop tile in the All Programs list from the Start Screen). On the desktop click the IE icon on the Task Bar.

    You can also launch the desktop version of IE from the Modern UI version, by bringing up the "Charms Menu" and  selecting the "Wrench" button and select "View in the Desktop"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-27T20:17:24+00:00

    Hi Everyone,

    So, I just got my surface a few days ago and am experiencing this issue, where streaming Pandora via IE doesn't work when the tablet goes into sleep mode.  I am a novice, so please bear with me, but what does it mean to launch Pandora on the Desktop IE?  I'd like to try this as a possible solution if I can.  In the meantime, it is ridiculous to me that Microsoft doesn't offer a Pandora app and seems to be forcing XBox Music.  I may have re-thought this purchase had I known that beforehand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-26T12:18:30+00:00

    @Kate, we're NOT asking to switch from Pandora. We want to keep using Pandora - but have it continue playing while we're doing something else. Moving to XBox Music is not the question and not an option.

    And launching Pandora on the Desktop IE works. You can come back to the tiles, and the music continues to play.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-26T12:16:05+00:00

    @Kate, we're NOT asking to switch from Pandora. We want to keep using Pandora - but have it continue playing while we're doing something else. Moving to XBox Music is not the question and not an option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments