Greetings all,
Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I want to listen to music on my Surface but not have to have the screen on (to save battery life). Is the only way to keep the music app running to keep the Surface awake? Or if I have Pandora going in the background and I flip to another app it stops the sound. How do I keep it going?
Thanks
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Greetings all,
Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).
slyej,
I was having the same issue, and my son (who works at Microsoft) made a suggestion that works for me. Now, to listen to Pandora while surfing the web, I open Pandora through the Desktop tile. That allows me to listen to my favorite music while I do my surfing on IE. I placed a shortcut too Pandora on the Quicklaunch taskbar which makes launching Pandora even easier. Hope this helps.
Desktop IE definitely runs in the background when using the device unlike the metro IE. Not sure if it runs after power off. Likely you'll have to wait for a Pandora app, similar to all other tablets
same problem here. As soon as the screen goes dark the audio strem stops. This even when running pandora through IE on the pandora sight. I tried changing advanced power management settings to "NOT" turn off the network adapter when the surface goes to sleep, but it did not help. As a matter of fact, making the setting change created a MASS of problems with the surface. Once it goes to sleep, you cant get the screen to come alive again! It will sit for 30 min or so and rebbot itself and give a bunch of error codes. So far, there is no way to run pandora in the background when the surface blanks the screen to save battery power. Pandora even stops if you try to run any other app at the same time.
"Modern" apps go in to a suspended state when they are not on screen, thus the music pausing. To keep your music playing "pin" the music to either side of the screen.
For Pandora or other streaming websites, open them via the classic Internet Explorer and it should continue to stream even when in the background.