How do I get my music (like Pandora) to keep playing after the Surface shuts the screen off while on battery?

Anonymous
2012-11-08T21:12:00+00:00

I want to listen to music on my Surface but not have to have the screen on (to save battery life).  Is the only way to keep the music app running to keep the Surface awake?  Or if I have Pandora going in the background and I flip to another app it stops the sound.  How do I keep it going?

Thanks

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-25T23:41:18+00:00

Greetings all,

Internet Explorer is not able to stream in Connected Standby. There are apps that can stream while the Surface is in Connected Standby (Xbox Music).

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-18T14:57:00+00:00

    Desktop IE definitely runs in the background when using the device unlike the metro IE.  Not sure if it runs after power off.  Likely you'll have to wait for a Pandora app, similar to all other tablets

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-18T12:08:48+00:00

    same problem here.  As soon as the screen goes dark the audio strem stops.  This even when running pandora through IE on the pandora sight.  I tried changing advanced power management settings to "NOT" turn off the network adapter when the surface goes to sleep, but it did not help.  As a matter of fact, making the setting change created a MASS of problems with the surface.  Once it goes to sleep, you cant get the screen to come alive again!  It will sit for 30 min or so and rebbot itself and give a bunch of error codes.  So far, there is no way to run pandora in the background when the surface blanks the screen to save battery power.  Pandora even stops if you try to run any other app at the same time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-16T06:04:37+00:00

    "Modern" apps go in to a suspended state when they are not on screen, thus the music pausing. To keep your music playing "pin" the music to either side of the screen.

    For Pandora or other streaming websites, open them via the classic Internet Explorer and it should continue to stream even when in the background.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T19:15:52+00:00

    The issue isn't with an app.  There isn't a Pandora app that I know of.  I'm streaming music via Pandora over IE.  I don't have the same problem with music I play locally through the Surface Music app.  I guess it might be an IE thing.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments