Surface Pro 7 touchscreen stopped working after February 2020 firmware update

Anonymous
2020-02-13T05:08:03+00:00

After the recent firmware update, my Surface Pro 7's touchscreen stopped working. I have had this less than 2 months. any advice on how to fix would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screenshot of my device manager showing an error with Surface ME, Surface UEFI and Intel(R) Precise Touch Device.

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-05T02:13:25+00:00

    Hello, 

    So, I have texted you MS Support team a while back about the touch screen becomes unresponsive all of a sudden. My SP7 was brand new. All recommendations given by them were followed and were not successful in resolving the issue. However, I noticed when I used my stylus the screen touch becomes unresponsive. When I don’t use the stylus, the issue never happen. The stylus I used to use was the Slim Pen. So, I bought the surface pen and the device is working properly and the issue doesn’t happen anymore. 

    I thought I would share this so you could spread the word or test if this has only happened to me or other customers have faced the same issue. 

    Best,

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-06T23:08:41+00:00

    I found the solution for my surface pro gen 5, it will the same with surface pro 7. I did uninstall the Intel (R) precise touch device and check box for the delete this from this pc. Just follow my instruction in this video: https://youtu.be/z0ZeFDGmh2U I hope it help you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-06-10T14:20:59+00:00

    YES!! Thank you so much! Using the old surface pen instead of the new slim pen fixed the problem for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-06-16T08:57:06+00:00

    Hi. I have the identical problem. Literally device arrive yesterday. Worked fine out of the box. As you run the system updates, touch screen stops working. Several Firmware and HID code 10 errors show in Device Manager.

    Tried the Diagnostic Toolkit and all the standard recommended steps online / Microsoft forums. Touch screen does not work in UEFI.

    Factory reset the device and everything started running again as out-of-box but as soon as you run system updates, touch screen stops functioning and Code 10 errors in Device Manager.

    It is clearly not a hardware problem as device works perfectly when factory reset - something to do with updates.

    This is also not a slim pen problem. Before anyone suggests, also tried to manually update the drivers/firmware and that does not work.

    Poor customer experience and unbelievable that the problem stems from Microsoft own system updates. It's remarkable that 'Running system updates' is the proposed solution to the touch screen problem on the Microsoft forums when clearly it is the root cause.

    Unless someone at Microsoft can walk me through a fix, will be returning the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments