Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T17:04:40+00:00

    This is beyond frustrating to start with. I cannot achieve response from my mouse or keyboard and have done a restore and now a "refresh" is in process. External ones do not work either. I cannot understand how this is not a priority with Microsoft or how they can continue to release updates they clearly have not fully tested. 

    My laptop is on 6 months old. I should not have sacrifice 2 hours (so far) on a Sunday morning trying to fix Microsoft's problems. Figure it out and release an update! 

    I think I am to the point of going to a Macbook....Apple's stuff is more expensive and a lot of proprietary but guess what? It works and there seems to be far less issues.

    Beyond angry....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T17:26:43+00:00

    I had the exact same problem that happened after an update. I got my TouchPad and keyboard to works fairly simple all I did was unplug my laptop then press and hold the power button until the computer turns off reconnect the power cable before you press the power button to turn on your laptop and the problem whent away forever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T17:28:11+00:00

    How did you get to device manager without a keyboard? I cannot locate it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T17:29:20+00:00

    This is a much bigger issue than a restart!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T20:45:26+00:00

    The keyboard doesn't work but the touchpad still does, right?  On the lower right by the virtual on/off button, one of your choices is to activate the virtual on screen keyboard.  Then using the touchscreen or touchpad, you can search for device manager and it'll come up.

    I've quit using the device manager for this problem.  I've had much better results by unplugging from the power and holding the physical on/off key until the machine restarts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments