yes you're right, that worked!!! Thank you so much!
Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working
About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2019-09-24T18:24:57+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-09-29T20:53:44+00:00 Press and hold power button for 30 seconds until computer will restart. It should fix the problem
-
Anonymous
2019-10-01T00:31:35+00:00 I have had this problem multiple times - tried the surface repair tool, uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, downloading the full driver update, etc, etc,. Nothing worked.
Today I got lucky. The Surface HID Mini Driver was the only driver in the device manager showing a problem. I uninstalled it, as I have many times. But then I uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers - there were three of them, all named HID Keyboard Device. None of them indicated a problem when I checked, but I went ahead and uninstalled them anyway.
Then I restarted the computer, and now the keyboard is working fine again. There are now 4 HID Keyboard devices under Keyboards, and the Hid mini driver is still there under Human Interface Devices.
-
Anonymous
2019-10-03T14:16:57+00:00 I'm sorry to hear that about your Laptop. After working with Microsoft Support over the phone during the first few weeks that my computer stopped working, I was told that there was a hardware issue and the only option was to replace my computer. My warranty expired a few days before my touchpad, so I think I'm going to buy a refurbished Surface Laptop 1 (for half the price) of the original.
Microsoft support is lying to you trying to make your buy a new computer. If it's the surface HID mini driver it's just a driver issue.
-
Anonymous
2019-10-05T00:13:59+00:00 This helped