FOUND A SOLUTION! I shut down the computer (not sleep or restart) then startup the laptop WHILE PLUGGED IN. It then sources the power from the charger instead of the internal battery, which allowed it to comeback. Now doing this for me only got the track pad to work but not keyboard so I then went into device manager and updated the HID driver that had the error. That was only because I previously uninstalled the driver.
Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working
About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2019-09-24T17:26:41+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-09-24T15:57:16+00:00 Same thing has been happening to me. About every two or three months I run into this issue where keyboard and trackpad don't work. I have to use the touchscreen to navigate. When I enter device manager I get the same error 'status_device_power_failure'. My only fix previously was to restart the computer about a dozen times and eventually it'll kick back up, but now im doing a full reset of the PC. Its a shame Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue, only giving the BS "restart your PC" and "reinstall drivers" suggestions. This issue happening to me in March, June, August and now September 2019.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-21T16:54:00+00:00 Same issue here with my wife's Surface laptop. Has happened intermittently in the past, but was previously able to fix it by removing/reinstalling the driver. However this morning nothing appears to fix it.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-21T16:15:28+00:00 Same issue. Today morning everything was working. Now keyboard and trackpad has stopped working.
-
Anonymous
2019-09-21T15:04:01+00:00 I was able to correct the issue by unplugging everything from the laptop and rebooting. This means unplug the port adaptor, external mouse, power, etc.
Hope this helps others.
I have the same problem, tried all the fixes above, come on Microsoft this is clearly a bug please provide a solution