Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-09T02:01:01+00:00

    I was able to fix the issue on my laptop (Surface Laptop Gen1). Here are the steps I took:

    1. Windows reset ---> Didn't work
    2. Uninstalled the surface hid minidriver that was showing an error (code 10), then restart ---> Didn't work
    3. Reinstall Surface drivers/firmware manually ---> Didn't work
    4. Rolled-back the latest windows feature update ---> Didn't work
    5. Disconnect power source and hold power button for 30 seconds (it will force a restart and disconnect the battery for a short second) ---> It worked

    Please let me know if this works for anyone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-10T15:37:02+00:00

    After hours of trying different things, installing latest firmware, updates, restarting, the keyboard finally came back after doing a "Shutdown" rather than "Restart".  Could be a combination of things, I suppose.  Surface ME and Surface System Aggregator still show "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", but I need to move on. This has been ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-01T00:23:18+00:00

    I have a surface laptop 2 and have been having issues with the touchpad.  It tracks my finger movement great, however it seems to have a constant left click, so it selects everything.  It will not let me left or right click, I have to connect my bluetooth mouse to actually navigate normally, which is a pain when moving around the office for meetings.

    I have done about everything I could do in device manager, including uninstalling the device and conducting both soft and hard restarts.  The device is added in just fine on restart, but has the same left click stuck issue.  I have tried turning ClickLock on and off, I have tried updating drivers, so far nothing works. 

    The fact that it tracks my finger movements tells me that the device is working, and that this is a software issue on single tap.  I think I will try rolling back an update now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T22:44:46+00:00

    Before downloading drivers and resetting try the following worked for me and takes less than a minute.

    1. Plug in the charging adapter to your surface laptop.
    2. Turn off your computer if not already off (Make sure its powered off not in sleep mode)
    3. Power on your laptop thats it

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more