Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-01T16:13:13+00:00

    Thank you for your advice. Now I can reply this comment by keyboard, not virtual.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-30T17:22:55+00:00

    Is everyone on 1909, and using the latest (January 2020) surface update?

    After that's installed, your HID mini driver version is 3.0.362.0

    That driver, however, didn't solve the problem. Hard-powering it off, at least returns keyboard functionality.

    I think the best temporary work-around is to disable foot boot in the power settings. That seems to resolve it. One option I did not try was unchecking the box on the driver settings that would prevent windows from controller power to the driver. By unchecking this, it isn't clear if the surface could fully enter "sleep" mode or not, but since the problem surface was that of a client of mine and not mine, I have no way of testing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-28T22:40:14+00:00

    This issue is annoying. Yes, completely uninstalling HID device (make sure you check "remove hardware drivers") and holding power button solved the issue for now. Hopefully Microsoft will fix it with future update. I love my laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T16:04:49+00:00

    First of all, this is a mess for Microsoft. Their solutions reported here are wrong and costly: buy a new laptop for a driver issue? Destroy your whole setup and reinstall everything? 

    I fixed mine, and after trying so many things it is hard to tell which thing did it.

    For me my trackpad came back first. Can't recall exact last step before that worked. 

    Keyboard eventually came back, after uninstall "surface hid" driver AND all the keyboard drivers and then power button restart. 

    It could of course also just be that each restart has a low chance of fixing it, so that after enough restarts it will fix itself. 

    What a mess! MS should step up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T21:01:47+00:00

    Please try and disconnect power source and hold power button for 30 seconds (it will force a restart and disconnect the battery for a short second). Worked for me a lot of other people here with the same problem. Hope it works for you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments