This was absolutely my problem, and got me back up and working. Thank you kind internet stranger.
Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working
About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2020-06-07T18:57:49+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-05-21T14:38:34+00:00 My keyboard on my Surface Laptop 1 stopped working after an update too.
I went to device manager (by typing devices in search bar) and found the HID Mini Driver had an error.
I tried updating, as others suggested, but it said that I had the most current driver.
I simply uninstalled the driver and then told it to detect new hardware. Keyboard started working again.
I hope this helps someone else out.
This seems like quite a mess.
-
Anonymous
2020-05-19T00:19:39+00:00 Happened to me again. And again shutting down the machine, disconnecting power supply and then holding power button till it starts solved the issue. So try it first before uninstalling any updates.
-
Anonymous
2020-05-09T16:41:07+00:00 I have had this problem multiple times - tried the surface repair tool, uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, downloading the full driver update, etc, etc,. Nothing worked.
Today I got lucky. The Surface HID Mini Driver was the only driver in the device manager showing a problem. I uninstalled it, as I have many times. But then I uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers - there were three of them, all named HID Keyboard Device. None of them indicated a problem when I checked, but I went ahead and uninstalled them anyway.
Then I restarted the computer, and now the keyboard is working fine again. There are now 4 HID Keyboard devices under Keyboards, and the Hid mini driver is still there under Human Interface Devices.
This worked i tried uninstalling the surface hid mini driver several times with no success. As soon as i uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers and the mini driver i powered the laptop down, closed the screen unplugged the power cable and external mouse waited 10 seconds, plugged the power back in and opened the laptop, pushed the power button and after booting the keyboard was working again.
-
Anonymous
2020-05-04T12:01:40+00:00 About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"
When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.
At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.
Any advice?
I had the issue with my mom's laptop, and I had to diagnose it using TeamViewer 3000 kilometers away.
I noticed the same exclamation marks in the Devices manager, and I've tried running the Microsoft's Surface Diagnostic Tool with no effect (no wonder, those MS troubleshooting services are barely useful).
And I've tried what the other users here suggested with no effect.
The only thing that worked was restoring Windows 10 to a previous state through the System protection-System restore. Please note, that the last state might be broken, as in my mom's case it was today's (broken) state. So I picked a farther one just to be sure, like a week or two.