Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-01T00:23:18+00:00

    I have a surface laptop 2 and have been having issues with the touchpad.  It tracks my finger movement great, however it seems to have a constant left click, so it selects everything.  It will not let me left or right click, I have to connect my bluetooth mouse to actually navigate normally, which is a pain when moving around the office for meetings.

    I have done about everything I could do in device manager, including uninstalling the device and conducting both soft and hard restarts.  The device is added in just fine on restart, but has the same left click stuck issue.  I have tried turning ClickLock on and off, I have tried updating drivers, so far nothing works. 

    The fact that it tracks my finger movements tells me that the device is working, and that this is a software issue on single tap.  I think I will try rolling back an update now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-05T00:13:59+00:00

    This helped

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-10-03T14:16:57+00:00

    I'm sorry to hear that about your Laptop. After working with Microsoft Support over the phone during the first few weeks that my computer stopped working, I was told that there was a hardware issue and the only option was to replace my computer. My warranty expired a few days before my touchpad, so I think I'm going to buy a refurbished Surface Laptop 1 (for half the price) of the original.

    Microsoft support is lying to you trying to make your buy a new computer.  If it's the surface HID mini driver it's just a driver issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-24T18:24:57+00:00

    yes you're right, that worked!!! Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-09-24T15:57:16+00:00

    Same thing has been happening to me. About every two or three months I run into this issue where keyboard and trackpad don't work. I have to use the touchscreen to navigate. When I enter device manager I get the same error 'status_device_power_failure'. My only fix previously was to restart the computer about a dozen times and eventually it'll kick back up, but now im doing a full reset of the PC. Its a shame Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue, only giving the BS "restart your PC" and "reinstall drivers" suggestions. This issue happening to me in March, June, August and now September 2019.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments