Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-09T16:41:07+00:00

    I have had this problem multiple times - tried the surface repair tool, uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, downloading the full driver update, etc, etc,.  Nothing worked.

    Today I got lucky.  The Surface HID Mini Driver was the only driver in the device manager showing a problem.  I uninstalled it, as I have many times.  But then I uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers - there were three of them, all named HID Keyboard Device.  None of them indicated a problem when I checked, but I went ahead and uninstalled them anyway.

    Then I restarted the computer, and now the keyboard is working fine again.  There are now 4 HID Keyboard devices under Keyboards, and the Hid mini driver is still there under Human Interface Devices.  

    This worked i tried uninstalling the surface hid mini driver several times with no success. As soon as i uninstalled all of the keyboard drivers and the mini driver i powered the laptop down, closed the screen unplugged the power cable and external mouse waited 10 seconds, plugged the power back in and opened the laptop, pushed the power button and after booting the keyboard was working again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-01T16:13:13+00:00

    Thank you for your advice. Now I can reply this comment by keyboard, not virtual.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T21:01:47+00:00

    Please try and disconnect power source and hold power button for 30 seconds (it will force a restart and disconnect the battery for a short second). Worked for me a lot of other people here with the same problem. Hope it works for you too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T20:45:26+00:00

    The keyboard doesn't work but the touchpad still does, right?  On the lower right by the virtual on/off button, one of your choices is to activate the virtual on screen keyboard.  Then using the touchscreen or touchpad, you can search for device manager and it'll come up.

    I've quit using the device manager for this problem.  I've had much better results by unplugging from the power and holding the physical on/off key until the machine restarts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more