Surface Laptop 1 keyboard and touchpad stopped working

Anonymous
2019-03-27T13:15:20+00:00

About a week ago following a Windows update my keyboard and touchpad on the first gen Surface Laptop stopped working. Initially the 'surface hid mini driver' appeared to have failed and displayed "status_device_power_failure"

When I rolled back the update and uninstalled the 'surface hid mini driver' and restarted the keyboard started working again. However when new updates installed the same issue started again. Now when I rollback the updates and fix the 'surface hid mini driver' the keyboard still doesn't work.

At this point I have reinstalled all the updates, and the 'surface hid mini driver' seems to be stable and working properly but the keyboard still doesn't work.

Any advice?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-21T14:38:34+00:00

    My keyboard on my Surface Laptop 1 stopped working after an update too.

    I went to device manager (by typing devices in search bar) and found the HID Mini Driver had an error.

    I tried updating, as others suggested, but it said that I had the most current driver.

    I simply uninstalled the driver and then told it to detect new hardware.  Keyboard started working again.

    I hope this helps someone else out.

    This seems like quite a mess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-28T22:40:14+00:00

    This issue is annoying. Yes, completely uninstalling HID device (make sure you check "remove hardware drivers") and holding power button solved the issue for now. Hopefully Microsoft will fix it with future update. I love my laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-22T17:26:43+00:00

    I had the exact same problem that happened after an update. I got my TouchPad and keyboard to works fairly simple all I did was unplug my laptop then press and hold the power button until the computer turns off reconnect the power cable before you press the power button to turn on your laptop and the problem whent away forever.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-09-21T15:04:01+00:00

    I was able to correct the issue by unplugging everything from the laptop and rebooting. This means unplug the port adaptor, external mouse, power, etc. 

    Hope this helps others.

    I have the same problem, tried all the fixes above, come on Microsoft this is clearly a bug please provide a solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-05-18T15:59:39+00:00

    I have this problem as well. It appears that the "surface hid mini driver" with the error "cannot start (code 10)" which prevents the keyboard and the trackpad from working.

    Seems that some update is responsible for this, though if you delete, reboot, and reinstall the driver it does not fix the problem. The hid mini driver installs but still cannot start. 

    I will add a USB mouse and USB keyboard and attempt the fix you show above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments