Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-16T18:07:57+00:00

    I'm having the same issue... stops at 33% and never continues. I am also trying to fix a monitor issue. Ironically, this is my second surface dock with this issue. I bought a second one thinking that would help, but a year later... same issue all over again with a different monitor. Any other ideas on a fix?

    Thanks, 

    Mindy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-12T15:56:39+00:00

    I was also running into this problem on my Surface Book (1st gen). The solution is to run the installer as system, for example from a command prompt (you can follow this guide).

    Now what is unclear to me is how my Surface Book Base would get the firmware update needed to enable the new/enhanced functions of the Surface Dock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T07:50:41+00:00

    You mention "new and enhanced functions".

    What are these supposed to be? Documentation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T10:09:17+00:00

    Microsoft refers to the benefits of the updated firmware here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-10-13T16:10:05+00:00

    Thank you. Very interesting!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments