Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T22:42:08+00:00

    We appreciate your response. We know how important it is for you to use your Surface Book as well as your Surface Dock. We would like to know if you have tried running the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit? If you haven't you can check the link here. How about the Hardware Troubleshooter? To do this, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. On the right panel, choose Hardware and Devices under the Find and fix the other problems then click Run the troubleshooter.

    Might as well check this link for more information about the Surface Dock Updater.

    Keep us posted with the outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-21T18:48:35+00:00

    I too am experiencing the exact issue. First dock works, then USB quits, get a new dock and it works for a while and then quits working. Now I am attempting to update the Firmware, and I receive "Encountered an unexpected error - Firmware update failed. Please power cycle the Surface Dock and try again." Cycle power over an over again to no avail.

    I ran the Troubleshooter as directed above and nothing was found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-22T03:49:43+00:00

    Hi Jay,

    The Surface Dock updater may fail to complete if there are devices connected to the Docking Station. We suggest that you unplug all devices off the dock and run the updater. If the updater still fails, try to unplug and re-plug the power cord of the Surface Dock.

    If the Surface Dock didn’t update with the Updater tool, try these same steps with another Surface device running Windows 10 Pro. Or, you can get your Surface Dock updated free of charge at a Microsoft Store near you.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T02:39:45+00:00

    Same problem

    I have two docks (one at work - one at home)

    The one at work is slightly newer and the update worked

    The one at home will not take update, and now USB devices plugged into it (keybd mouse) have stopped working.

    ASUS Monitor still works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-04T13:46:53+00:00

    Hi NilsA,

    Just want to make a follow up on this. Are you still having the same issue? Have you tried switching the dock, see if the one at home will update using the same device you used to update the other working dock?

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments