Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T00:11:07+00:00

    Ive done all that and still get the error

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T20:07:36+00:00

    I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I have tried all the suggestions in the previous posts and still get the same error as the original poster. 

    The installation of Surface Dock Updater v2.12.136.0 goes about two-thirds of the way through, including copying new files and registering new programs, and then aborts with the message Failed to Install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

    I have a Surface Book first generation, Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.334, Surface Dock Model 1661

    Current registry keys for Dock firmware are

    Component10CurrentFwVersion 76661360

    Component10FirmwareUpdateStatus 5

    Component10FirmwareUpdateStatusRejectReason 0

    Component10OfferFwVersion 76661360

    Component20CurrentFwVersion 76634736

    Component20FirmwareUpdateStatus 5

    Component20FirmwareUpdateStatusRejectReason 0

    Component20OfferFwVersion 76634736

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T00:22:03+00:00

    Hi hustlefan,

    It appears that the Surface Dock is unable to complete the udpate. Here are additional steps that you can try:

    1. Remove your Surface from the Surface Dock and unplug the Dock.
    2. Navigate to C:\ProgramFiles\Microsfot\Surface\DockUpdater and delete the contents of the folder.
    3. Perform a two-button reset.
      1. Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
      2. Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button for 15 seconds.
      3. Release both button and wait for about 10 seconds.
      4. Restart the Surface normally.
    4. Plug the Dock to the power source and connect the Surface.
    5. Run the Surface Dock Updater.

    Inform me about the outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T01:01:45+00:00

    I tried your procedure but did not find a folder named C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft\Surface\DockUpdater.  I searched for files with "dock" in them and found C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft Surface Dock Updater, an event log created today but the folder was empty.

    The update displays "Rolling back" when OK is clicked on the update error message, so it does some cleaning up when the update doesn't complete.

    I think it's a matter of fixing the Surface Dock Updater v2.12.136.0 installation software.  I don't think there's much that a user can do until the software is fixed.  I am trying to provide as much information as possible to help the software developers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T13:36:39+00:00

    Hi,

    In this case, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub.  You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments