Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-05T11:50:21+00:00

    Hi Claus,

    If you have issues with an external display connected to Surface Dock, try to clear the display cache.

    1. Undock your Surface from the Surface Dock.
    2. Download the Surface Dock registry file. Choose to Open the file.
    3. Select and run surface dock registry.reg.
    4. Select Yes to allow changes to your Surface, select Yes to confirm, and then select OK to close.
    5. Restart your Surface, reconnect it to the Surface Dock, and try your external display again.

    Reset the dock and monitor

    • Remove the Surface Connector from your Surface, turn the connector over, and plug it in again. Make sure that the connection is secure and the indicator light is on.
    • If you’re still having problems, try resetting the power by unplugging your Surface Dock from the power outlet and plugging it in again.
    • Try unplugging your monitor from the power outlet and plugging it back in.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-27T22:50:20+00:00

    I am having the same problem on first gen SurfaceBook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T10:38:01+00:00

    Hi stsmith70,

    Your issue may be similar to the other posts on this thread. I suggest you go through the previous suggestions to work on this.

    Let me know if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T14:23:19+00:00

    I have done the suggestions and they don't work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T00:09:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Some Community members tried to unplug and replug the power adapter side of the Surface Dock, then tried to ran the Surface Dock Updater again. Also, try to uninstall the other update package then try to run the update again. 

    Let us know if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments