Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-05T20:07:36+00:00

    I am having the same problem as the original poster.  I have tried all the suggestions in the previous posts and still get the same error as the original poster. 

    The installation of Surface Dock Updater v2.12.136.0 goes about two-thirds of the way through, including copying new files and registering new programs, and then aborts with the message Failed to Install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

    I have a Surface Book first generation, Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 OS Build 16299.334, Surface Dock Model 1661

    Current registry keys for Dock firmware are

    Component10CurrentFwVersion 76661360

    Component10FirmwareUpdateStatus 5

    Component10FirmwareUpdateStatusRejectReason 0

    Component10OfferFwVersion 76661360

    Component20CurrentFwVersion 76634736

    Component20FirmwareUpdateStatus 5

    Component20FirmwareUpdateStatusRejectReason 0

    Component20OfferFwVersion 76634736

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T00:11:07+00:00

    Ive done all that and still get the error

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T00:09:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Some Community members tried to unplug and replug the power adapter side of the Surface Dock, then tried to ran the Surface Dock Updater again. Also, try to uninstall the other update package then try to run the update again. 

    Let us know if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T14:23:19+00:00

    I have done the suggestions and they don't work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-28T10:38:01+00:00

    Hi stsmith70,

    Your issue may be similar to the other posts on this thread. I suggest you go through the previous suggestions to work on this.

    Let me know if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments