Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T14:37:01+00:00

    Well I tried the above and that didn't work either...I still get the dll error trying to install Surface Dock Updater

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T20:19:06+00:00

    Same issue as everybody above. I cant use the dock since it connects and disconnects constantly, usb ports don't work. The FWupdater says it cant install with the same error as above. Very disappointing. Please tell me Microsoft isn't turning to the vote system like google for major support issues. 

    UPDATE: I have 2 surface books and 2 docks. 1 works and the other doesn't. 

    The working dock, did not work on the broken surface, same issues with disconnecting USB ports and chime every few seconds. The broken dock did not work on the working surface same issues.  

    I was able to use the working surface to install the dock update software, it installed perfectly on that surface no issues. Firmware updated and the dock worked as expected after the update on the working surface. So at that point I had 2 working docks and 1 working surface. 

    I then attached the working dock to the not working surface, both had the same issues, that being random disconnects of the USB ports and flickering monitor. The light on the dock went out each time. 

    So now I have 2 working docks and 1 working surface. I will try a reset on the surface and see where that gets me. 

    UPDATE 2: 

    A reset did not fix the issue, USB ports still do not work on the surface dock. Going to try manual firmware upgrade. 

    Still getting failed to install surfacebaseupdater.dll after windows reset. 

    FIXED UPDATE:

    I installed the surface book platform update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497

    <br>SurfaceBook_Win10_1701000_0.msi

    This seems to have fixed the problem entirely. I would assume by my testing that installing this update with the dock disconnected, then installing the dock updater and updating the dock firmware you all will be able to solve this issue. 

    <br><br><br><br><br>

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T13:36:39+00:00

    Hi,

    In this case, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub.  You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T01:01:45+00:00

    I tried your procedure but did not find a folder named C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft\Surface\DockUpdater.  I searched for files with "dock" in them and found C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs\Microsoft Surface Dock Updater, an event log created today but the folder was empty.

    The update displays "Rolling back" when OK is clicked on the update error message, so it does some cleaning up when the update doesn't complete.

    I think it's a matter of fixing the Surface Dock Updater v2.12.136.0 installation software.  I don't think there's much that a user can do until the software is fixed.  I am trying to provide as much information as possible to help the software developers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T00:22:03+00:00

    Hi hustlefan,

    It appears that the Surface Dock is unable to complete the udpate. Here are additional steps that you can try:

    1. Remove your Surface from the Surface Dock and unplug the Dock.
    2. Navigate to C:\ProgramFiles\Microsfot\Surface\DockUpdater and delete the contents of the folder.
    3. Perform a two-button reset.
      1. Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds.
      2. Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button for 15 seconds.
      3. Release both button and wait for about 10 seconds.
      4. Restart the Surface normally.
    4. Plug the Dock to the power source and connect the Surface.
    5. Run the Surface Dock Updater.

    Inform me about the outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments