Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-09T08:22:26+00:00

    Yes and i even went ahead and purchased a new unit,

    and it works fine and took the update.

    so i think your update routine broke the first one.

    Any chance you could issue me a RMA?

    Hi NilsA,

    Just want to make a follow up on this. Are you still having the same issue? Have you tried switching the dock, see if the one at home will update using the same device you used to update the other working dock?

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-04T18:33:09+00:00

    yes absolutely

    the dock's usb ports are also dea, so I suspect its btricked

    it still charges surface and drives display

    I have another dock at work and it works fine

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-04T13:46:53+00:00

    Hi NilsA,

    Just want to make a follow up on this. Are you still having the same issue? Have you tried switching the dock, see if the one at home will update using the same device you used to update the other working dock?

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-01T02:39:45+00:00

    Same problem

    I have two docks (one at work - one at home)

    The one at work is slightly newer and the update worked

    The one at home will not take update, and now USB devices plugged into it (keybd mouse) have stopped working.

    ASUS Monitor still works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-22T03:49:43+00:00

    Hi Jay,

    The Surface Dock updater may fail to complete if there are devices connected to the Docking Station. We suggest that you unplug all devices off the dock and run the updater. If the updater still fails, try to unplug and re-plug the power cord of the Surface Dock.

    If the Surface Dock didn’t update with the Updater tool, try these same steps with another Surface device running Windows 10 Pro. Or, you can get your Surface Dock updated free of charge at a Microsoft Store near you.

    Let us know if you need further assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments