Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-21T18:48:35+00:00

    I too am experiencing the exact issue. First dock works, then USB quits, get a new dock and it works for a while and then quits working. Now I am attempting to update the Firmware, and I receive "Encountered an unexpected error - Firmware update failed. Please power cycle the Surface Dock and try again." Cycle power over an over again to no avail.

    I ran the Troubleshooter as directed above and nothing was found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-19T22:42:08+00:00

    We appreciate your response. We know how important it is for you to use your Surface Book as well as your Surface Dock. We would like to know if you have tried running the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit? If you haven't you can check the link here. How about the Hardware Troubleshooter? To do this, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot. On the right panel, choose Hardware and Devices under the Find and fix the other problems then click Run the troubleshooter.

    Might as well check this link for more information about the Surface Dock Updater.

    Keep us posted with the outcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-17T23:47:07+00:00

    I tried, got to the MS Surface dock updater and got this error:

    "Surface Dock Firmware - USB Hub Firmware driver is missing. Please reinstall the package."

    Does competency matter?

    When?

    How?

    I have a great rock to sell anyone who wants to throw it in a river - only $150.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-17T23:41:29+00:00

    Please tell me what other tech sector allows for this level of failure, where MS Windows installs an auto-update and it bricks another MS product, without MS doing anything to solve the problem?

    I have now purchased 3 (yes THREE) docks from BestBuy and they work until the next update.

    GEEKSQUAD (waste of time and money) said I should send my SurfaceBook for repair because that is their only technical knowledge. It is not a PC problem, it is a DOCK problem. 

    MS, fix your hardware-software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T14:37:01+00:00

    Well I tried the above and that didn't work either...I still get the dll error trying to install Surface Dock Updater

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments