Surface Dock Firmware Updater won't install - Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll

Anonymous
2018-02-02T13:12:27+00:00

Hi

I'm trying to install a firmware update for the Surface Dock I am using connected to my (first generation) Surface Book.

Primarily I'm trying to do this so I can charge my iPhone from the Surface Dock without having the connection repeatedly connect and drop.

I am running Windows 10 (Creator's edition, up to date as of 2nd Feb 2018) and trying to install: 

Surface_Dock_Updater_v2.12.136.0.msi

During the installation process I get the following message.

Failed to install SurfaceBaseFwUpdateDriver.dll. Aborting installation.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jonathan

Surface | Accessories | Surface Dock

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-21T18:04:44+00:00

    Here is my solution to this issue:

       1. Press  Windows Key + R  to open the Run menu

       2. Type "gpedit.msc" and click OK

       3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Installer

       4. Edit the item titled Prohibit rollback and set its value to Enabled

       5. Click Apply and then OK to save these changes

       6. Run the installer for the Surface Dock Updater and install (You will still get the error, just ignore it)

       7. Browse to C:/Program Files/Microsoft/Surface/Dock Updater/

       8. Run MicrosoftSurfaceDockUpdater.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to install the newest firmware to your Dock

       9. Revert the Prohibit rollback flag back to "Not Configured"(make sure to apply changes)

    The only issue with this method is that while it does allow you to update the firmware on your Surface Dock, it does not update the Surface Book**.**I am not certain of what functionality is missing because of this. However, the dock still works with the laptop (and in my case improved its usability).

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-03T04:02:53+00:00

    Hi,

    For us to assist you, can you confirm the following information:

    • Is this the first you have encountered this issue?
    • Have you tried to first check for and install the update using Windows update while Surface Dock is connected to your Surface Book?
    • Have you also tried re-downloading the Surface Dock Updater, then install it to your device?

    For now, you can also force a shut down and restart your device, then try it again.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-27T19:34:32+00:00

    This worked. Thanks for the assistance. I haven't been able to update the dock in over a year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T20:19:06+00:00

    Same issue as everybody above. I cant use the dock since it connects and disconnects constantly, usb ports don't work. The FWupdater says it cant install with the same error as above. Very disappointing. Please tell me Microsoft isn't turning to the vote system like google for major support issues. 

    UPDATE: I have 2 surface books and 2 docks. 1 works and the other doesn't. 

    The working dock, did not work on the broken surface, same issues with disconnecting USB ports and chime every few seconds. The broken dock did not work on the working surface same issues.  

    I was able to use the working surface to install the dock update software, it installed perfectly on that surface no issues. Firmware updated and the dock worked as expected after the update on the working surface. So at that point I had 2 working docks and 1 working surface. 

    I then attached the working dock to the not working surface, both had the same issues, that being random disconnects of the USB ports and flickering monitor. The light on the dock went out each time. 

    So now I have 2 working docks and 1 working surface. I will try a reset on the surface and see where that gets me. 

    UPDATE 2: 

    A reset did not fix the issue, USB ports still do not work on the surface dock. Going to try manual firmware upgrade. 

    Still getting failed to install surfacebaseupdater.dll after windows reset. 

    FIXED UPDATE:

    I installed the surface book platform update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49497

    <br>SurfaceBook_Win10_1701000_0.msi

    This seems to have fixed the problem entirely. I would assume by my testing that installing this update with the dock disconnected, then installing the dock updater and updating the dock firmware you all will be able to solve this issue. 

    <br><br><br><br><br>

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-30T00:09:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Some Community members tried to unplug and replug the power adapter side of the Surface Dock, then tried to ran the Surface Dock Updater again. Also, try to uninstall the other update package then try to run the update again. 

    Let us know if you need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments