Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-04T03:18:39+00:00

    I tried calling the executive surface team management and they never replied back.   There is 3 fans and they are constantly running.  Not sure if there is a resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-06-04T07:19:18+00:00

    5000 bucks to hear a hair blower all day long when no one is logged on!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-31T08:54:30+00:00

    Facing the same issue here. Toolkit ran with no problems detected. Can you please provide some guidance. 

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-31T05:47:40+00:00

    I have the same problem, the fan noise is extremely unbearable, not sure if I have made the right choise of getting this machine. This is not at all acceptible for such a costly device. 

    Kindly help to solve this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments