Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-21T18:55:11+00:00

    I found when you disable the Nvidia display adapter in the device manager that the system runs a lot cooler and the fans actually remain mostly off. But the graphics sucks then. So it seems to be problem with the Nvidia graphics card. 

    I find it rather annoying especially for a machine of this price to allow that level of noise even when the machine is almost idle.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-21T20:15:26+00:00

    I really don't see how you managed to turn off the NVidia graphic, although the CPU is intel there doesn't appear to be any intel drivers or Optimus to allow hybrid graphics. My Lenovo P50 has a quadro gpu and Intel 450 HD, the drivers show in processes, but in my SS2 they do not.

    As far as heat goes the GTX 1070 and CPU share the same heat sink which is why it runs hot, if you run a similarly spec Intel NUC which has pretty much indentical footprint it runs super hot also. Thermodynamics is a ****. Would I like to see it run cooler and quieter ?; sure who wouldn't !?! If you want that then you want a differently configured solution with water cooling.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-30T14:38:52+00:00

    I have managed to sort the issue out. It is however not a quick fix.

    The answer is to do a full recovery device reset and re-install then download the latest Surface studio 2 Firmware and drivers .msi package putting in a totally fresh OS and driver build.

    After completing this .. 1 - 2 hours all told the Surface Studio 2 feels very quick and quiet, just like it should have been when it arrived !!!

    Honestly it feels like a completely different machine, everything is so much more stable and snappy. I was having many error, shutdowns and crashes in sleep mode, netflix closing down randomly. None of the above is happening any more, even the Surface bluetooth headphones connect and disconnect and work better.

    The gpu 3D and video decode load using 4k video say on Youtube is 1/3 of what was being used before. I have no idea what the factory install did, but QA really need to step thier game up.

    Can you tell us the exact steps to a fully recovery?  I also thought that the surface studio 2 firmware was part of the windows update process?  If you look on Microsoft's software page, it says there is 2 firmware software versions which is very confusing.  Plus when the system arrived, the automatic updates wouldn't upgrade to latest version of windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-30T14:48:15+00:00

    I was a little confused too...took the second one (older, I suppose), installed it - and nothing in particular happened. No change that I could see (or hear, or NOT hear). Didn't show up in the updates notifications. Mystery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments