Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-23T15:57:34+00:00

    I have managed to sort the issue out. It is however not a quick fix.

    The answer is to do a full recovery device reset and re-install then download the latest Surface studio 2 Firmware and drivers .msi package putting in a totally fresh OS and driver build.

    After completing this .. 1 - 2 hours all told the Surface Studio 2 feels very quick and quiet, just like it should have been when it arrived !!!

    Honestly it feels like a completely different machine, everything is so much more stable and snappy. I was having many error, shutdowns and crashes in sleep mode, netflix closing down randomly. None of the above is happening any more, even the Surface bluetooth headphones connect and disconnect and work better.

    The gpu 3D and video decode load using 4k video say on Youtube is 1/3 of what was being used before. I have no idea what the factory install did, but QA really need to step thier game up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-27T21:06:39+00:00

    Keep me updated on how things go - I wonder if the machine stays quiet. 

    Another question: when looking in the device manager, do you now see the Intel on-board graphics alongside the NVidia?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T05:28:50+00:00

    Hi All,

    I just got my surface studio 2 this morning and have been using it very lightly so far with quite loud fan noise. My CPU utilisation is around 6% and the speed varies anything from 1.3 GHz to 3.6 GHz.

    Does anyone have any resolution on this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T07:32:29+00:00

    @unknownbrother don't believe there really is one TBH. They're just loud as h.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments