Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T11:42:23+00:00

    Hi Scott,

    Does it also help for Surface Studio 1? That's the one I have and fan are blowing permanently even when there is no activity.

    Thanks,

    E

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-11T14:06:16+00:00

    As a matter of fact, and while I have not done anything, it seems that now my fan are no longer blowing like crazy. My only guess is that some hotfix got applied and now it is no longer blowing. However, what if I would have to reinstall? I have no idea what corrected the issue and I really would like to know, for the sake of later reinstalling.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T13:41:32+00:00

    Hi there,

    I'm now experiencing weird fan sounds from Surface Studio 2 (i7, 32gb ram, 2t ssd)

    Any solutions? 

    Kindly, 

    Janne from Finland

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments