Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-03T05:25:54+00:00

    My fan noise has reduced considerably.

    I haven't put the studio under heavy workload yet but idling is certainly not as loud as it was.

    It's still audible but I don't have any issue with it at this point, especially if I'm playing music.

    I ran a few minor updates including a firmware one:

    Surface – Firmware – 5.5.139.0  

    5.5.139.0 optimizes device fan profiles for reduced fan noise.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4477038

    I also updated to the latest version of windows 10. Version 1809

    So far so good. I do love this machine.

    (Having said that, I also purchased the extended warranty)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T16:02:36+00:00

    Under load the fan is supposed to spin up of course - my problem is the idling. The fan also never turns off in sleep mode - I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

    I'll give your method a try as soon as I have time. Unfortunately this will interrupt my work considerably :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T15:19:35+00:00

    The method I describe above has solved the issue of high fan spin during idle and low cpu/gpu usage for me.

    As far as high cpu and gpu usage (playing games, rendering video files, virtual machines) fan spin is to be expected because all that heat has to go somewhere. So it is normal.

    I have to say that playing a demanding  (ish) game like Astroneer really gets the SS2 base quite toasty and I'm not exactly comfortable with that kind of heat, being an AIO where one failure can render the entire unit useless is a concept that makes me nervous.

    For sure I am going to purchase the extended warranty.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T07:32:29+00:00

    @unknownbrother don't believe there really is one TBH. They're just loud as h.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments