Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T03:04:03+00:00

    Thanks, Matt. I'm listening more carefully now and it does seem the buzzing is actually one of the fans. But it's running constantly. Is that what yours were doing? What process did you go through to return the machine? It wasn't doing this before - seems to have started out of nowhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T02:56:24+00:00

    KN123, send it back.  I sent my device back about a month ago.  The one I got back is so much better.  

    I was just like you.  It was hard at times to work out if things were getting worse or I was just imagining it.  If you're worried about any kind of whining noises, this is what I had happened to me.  

    My machine had a "whines" and general struggling noises.  The replacement is completely different.  The machine still gets hot but the fans don't kick in as early.  And when the fans are on (during normal usage), the noise level more consistent with a regular laptop fan.

    Get it replaced if you can.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-02T21:43:57+00:00

    Good to hear there are improvements.  I'm guessing I've got a few issues with my machine.  The GPU temp is 20° higher than yours and fans are ticking like mad.

    Looks to be a 3 week turn around with MS again, which means I'm back to scrambling around to find a temporary replacement.  Fingers crossed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments