Surface Studio 2 - extremely loud fans

Anonymous
2019-02-06T21:10:11+00:00

My Surface Studio 2 finally arrived today. The machine is a total beauty, I love it to pieces - fits my workflow perfectly. Only thing I really don't love is the fan noise. Even when just doing some file renaming or opening MS Word, the fans spin up to an extremely annoying level. I don't mind a low-level fan constantly going and I don't care if the fan speeds up when doing some heavy photo editing or gaming - but I'm talking blow-dryer here while the system is simply idling. According to task manager, the CPU is less than 3% busy here. 

Can someone confirm this is normal? Should I RMA the machine?

Surface | Surface Studio | Power and battery

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-12-04T16:35:50+00:00

Hello

We have released an update for Surface Studio 2 that does some optimization of the Fan based on processor utilization.  It is currently available on Windows Update.  Please try installing it and see if it resolves your issue.  You can see more information about the update on the Surface Studio 2 Update History Page.

Marking as "Answered" to raise visibility

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-08T04:38:34+00:00

    Hi zipro,

    Thank you for your response. I have sent a private message regarding with this concern. Please check your inbox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-07T08:55:41+00:00

    Hi, 

    Thanks for your reply - I ran the toolkit and no problems were found. The fan is still loud

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-07T07:37:33+00:00

    Hi zipro ,

    First of all, we would like to congratulate you for purchasing the Surface Studio 2. We thank you for raising this concern to us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that had caused.

    Here's what we suggest:

    Install and run Surface Diagnostic Toolkit. This toolkit resolves the most common Surface issues. The diagnosis and repair time would take 15 minutes or less but can take an hour or longer depends on the internet connection speed or whether updates need to be installed on your device.

    Kindly go to this link- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4037239/surface-fix-common-surface-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit

    Note: If you will get stuck on the repair time, you can close the toolkit and run it again.

    I hope this helps and should need further assistance, feel free to reply back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments